Sherlock Holmes needed for Dr Watson - ecoTEC plus 428

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am trying to understand the root cause of my radiators getting lukewarm at best.

I have an ecoTEC plus 428. It doesn’t display any fault codes, but it spends most of its time with the boiler off, displaying a blinking radiator. Seemingly, as a consequence, my radiators never get more than lukewarm.

My understanding is that the blinking radiator icon indicates that it is waiting for the temperature of the flow water to fall to a value that allows the boiler to restart without risking overheating.

I am a complete noob, so forgive my Dr Watson type attempts to resolve the mystery by gathering some facts and considering bits of evidence. Is there a Sherlock Holmes out there who can come to my rescue?

Looking in the diagnostics table I see that d.5 is the flow temperature target value. In my case this is set to 71 degrees (how this is determined and set, I don’t know and I am not sure it matters).

d.40 is the Flow Temperature – Actual Value

d.41 is the Return Temperature – Actual Value

So, taking my very simple-minded approach, I would expect the boiler to run until d.40 approaches or equals d.5 – in my case 71 degrees, at which point the boiler would moderate itself and if it went over-temperature, shutdown and wait until the temperature fell sufficiently to allow the boiler to restart safely.

I think this should happen relatively smoothly maintaining a constant flow of hot water through the central heating pump and radiators, until the radiators/thermostat stop calling for heat.

In my case, this is what happens –

1. The boiler runs, the radiator icon is solid, and the temperature displays 72.

2. d.40 rises rapidly to 71/2 degrees and the outflow from the central heating pump immediately gets hot.

3. d.40 then shows the temperature dropping to 63/64 degrees with the boiler still running, then after only a few seconds the d.40 temperature starts to rise rapidly again, this time getting to 73, at which point the boiler turns off. This on to off again takes no more than about 20 seconds.

4. d.40 rapidly (over a few seconds) declines to 50, matching d.41. That seems reasonable as the return flow cools the water in the boiler and the two values reach equilibrium.

5. After that d.40 and d.41 decline more slowly over a period of minutes. The central heating pump continues to run but its out-flow pipe is relatively cool as the boiler isn’t running.

6. At some point, with d.40 and d.41 at around 48 degrees, the boiler decides to restart and we are back to point 1., and the beginning of the cycle.

This behaviour matches the outcome I am seeing at the radiators. The first radiator in the chain gets hot, all the others at best manage to get a little warm. This is as a result of a short burst of hot water while the boiler runs followed by an extended period of water recirculation with the boiler off.

The fault seems to be at stage 3 of the process. Instead of the boiler running for an extended period managing the flow of water in the mid to high 60s and allowing the pump to circulate it, it shoots up to 72 degrees, comes down to the mid-60s for a few seconds, rebounds up to 73 and switches off.

Can anyone help me to understand what is going on?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
The boiler is probably oversized and/or the pump undersized for the property, if you press the "I" button when the rad symbol is flashing you will probably see S53, a "cure" for this is to reduce the heat output of the boiler in the d code section of the boiler menu, if you read the boiler instructions it will tell you how to reduce the output in d0, how many rads do you have in your house?

Hi picasso,

Thanks for coming back to me.

I have 14 radiators, but two of those are double size.

If I press i while the radiator is flashing I get S.7 - Pump over run

The pump is a Grundfos type UPS2 - see the image below

Pump mediuml.jpg

When the pump is running one blue LED is lit.

I will have a look through the manual for d0 settings

Thanks again

Change D0 to 15 once you look at manual. Is this a new issue or been like this a while? if its new, it could indicate that the pump is not moving enough water through the system or a partial blockage in the system starting to form. Although in most cases these boilers were fitted with no knowledge or regard to the system requirements and are too big for the systems there fitted to. Not sure if that pump has a selector switch to choose between the 3 power settings on it, if so it should be on 3(highest) power for that sort of boiler.

Sponsored Links
ScottishGasMan - that's one scary rabbit!

Ok - I have changed d.0 to 15 and as soon as I did so, the boiler behaviour changed. My conservatory radiators are hot to the touch for the first time in a number of years!! The outflow from the central heating pump remains hot (boiler on or off) and d.41 (return temperature) hovers around 61/62 degrees. The pump has 3 speed settings and is (and was) running at maximum speed.

I will monitor the system today, but it feels like case closed.

'When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth'

Sherlock.jpg

My thanks to you and picasso.

Ok - I have changed d.0 to 15 and as soon as I did so, the boiler behaviour changed. My conservatory radiators are hot to the touch for the first time in a number of years!! The outflow from the central heating pump remains hot (boiler on or off) and d.41 (return temperature) hovers around 61/62 degrees. The pump has 3 speed settings and is (and was) running at maximum speed.
You may have solved one problem; but do you realize that, with a return temperature of 61/62C, the boiler is not condensing, so it's not running as efficiently as it could? It needs to be 55C or less for condensing to occur. What are the set and actual flow temperature? You don't say.

Hi D_Hailsham,

Such fun, who would have known!

I have a Smart System (Heat Genius) with individually controlled radiator valves which I believe can cause some variation in the return temperature, depending on which radiators are on?

Measured just now d.40, the flow temperature is 71 and d.41, the return temperature, is 49. d.0 has been set to 15 from 24 as per advice here.

What is the best way to moderate the return temperature and does it matter if the value is significantly below 55 (e.g. 49)?

Many thanks

What type of zone valve do you have?

I have no idea about my zone valve - how would I find out?

In all honesty most "condensing" boilers in this country are not fitted to run in condensing mode, on a radiator system your looking at the difference between it running at say 90% efficiency and 95% so not a great deal, without the system (radiators/pipes/valves and boiler) being sized, balanced and maintained professionally then you'll never get both high efficiency AND a warm house.

Also being a heat only boiler, presumably not running vaillant controls ie just using standard type of room stat/timer, then the flow temp set by the heating knob on front of boiler is the only temp control for the system flow to both heating and hot water (the hot water control knob only takes effect on vaillant control systems) which means you need a relatively high flow temperature in order to heat the cylinder to reasonable heat in reasonable time.

For condensing boilers its often stated that the return temperature should Idealy be lower than 55°c to get it condensing, which is broadly true, but the lower it goes the more it condenses, a fully controlled underfloor heating system can run with a return temperature of as low as 20°c in which case there is significantly higher condensing than radiators at 55°c which means your getting a little extra "free" heat from condensing.

It's of course much preffered to run a low temperature system, and I'm a big advocate of them, but the fact the boilers unlikey even the right size for the system would suggest that the system has not been sized for the above purpose so I wouldnt spend too much time and energy on it and just enjoy your radiators working for a change unless you're willing to spend quite a bit of cash on pipe/radiator upgrades.

Putting personal passions aside, I am a great believer in the 80:20 rule. 80% of the benefit for 20% of the effort. There's more to know about central heating than I could ever hope to learn, so to ScottishGasMan's point, I am going to kick back and enjoy.

You guys have been stellar, and I can see from the number of posts you make that you have a passion for helping people. More power to you all.

(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back