Shiplap Cladding Leaking badly

Ratman what are you saying...should I remove the insulation and replace with perhaps some silverbacked insulation or what. If I replace the insulation and ensure there is a gap and close up the area and coat with waxy preservative, seal the corners etc..will that solve the problem...or do I still need to do more?

Sponsored Links
Ideally the buildup should have been...

cladding
battens
membrane
studs = with insulation
internal cladding

Cladding nearly always leaks, either through butt joints, capalirary action or at corner details. Now your probably going to get someone saying "ah yes, but they build boats from cladding and they don't leak", but boats are lathered with paints and sealants, and because the timber is wetter, it stays tight up against each other.

So you can either lather it with sealants at the joints and paints all over, or you can put in a cavity.

If you can't put in a cavity, i would recomend putting in 19mm battens to the cladding side, and then some rigid insulation (or a board material and mineral wool), this means that there is then a space between the cladding and the insulation, and the insulation wont act as a wick for moisture.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back