Shipping container

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

- Can i put a shipping container in my backgarden? If so what size, what does it depend on? I am intending to convert the conatiner into an office/classroom for homeschooling.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

- Can i put a shipping container in my backgarden? If so what size, what does it depend on? I am intending to convert the conatiner into an office/classroom for homeschooling.

Whilst you may be able to fit the container in to the PD rules as far as it's size and location is concerned.

I doubt it's intended use would fit in with being 'incidental to the enjoyment of the dwelling house'.

I believe you will require planning permission, due to it's intended use.

Hi,

Whilst you may be able to fit the container in to the PD rules as far as it's size and location is concerned.

I doubt it's intended use would fit in with being 'incidental to the enjoyment of the dwelling house'.

For a home office? PP is not required for that.

Sponsored Links
There'd be an awful lot of illegal home offices around the country if they weren't allowed.

You'd be better off getting a site cabin rather than a shipping container. If you get what is called an 'anti-vandal' type then it will have a steel shell and be virtually indestructible, and it will already be fitted out with windows, insulation and electrics etc. A decent 20' or 24' cabin will cost you £1500 - £2500. Sounds expensive compared to a container, but converting a container properly will cost serious ££££'s, and the transport charge for delivery and siting will be the same, so this could save a lot of time and effort. There's plenty on ebay, but worth going to check them out in person rather than relying on a few pictures. It's very important to check for corrosion on the roof - take a ladder with you! Another advantage over a container is that they can come in slightly greater widths - often 9' or 10'.
I've bought a few of these over the years, and you can get some really great buys, especially if you can afford to wait until the right one comes along.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for everyone for your advice and input.
I really really love the idea of a 'site cabin' have seen a few on ebay and this is exactly what I need and will save a lot of hassle of converting a container.
Going to do some measuring so I know how much space I have to play with and then keep a look out.

I will check with local council but for a site cabin are there any planning restrictions?

Speaking from experience - a shopping container gets damn hot inside on a sunny day - they just suck the heat from the sky and direct it at anyone inside.

At my previous job we got one for an EMC testing chamber and I got the job of painting it when we had extra doors ect fitted, It was not fun being in there.

Hi,

For a home office? PP is not required for that.

My apologies, I assumed it would be an office as in a place of business with other employees, rather than a home office.

Sorry. :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back