Shock sensor on PVC door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an external PVC door for entry into a workshop attached to the house. There's a PIR in there already, connected to the Premier Elite panel. I'd rather like to deter a potential intruder when they are still working on the door and before they get in to activate the PIR.

I've been looking at the Impaq SC-W, to have a magnet and a shock detector. What's the expert opinion on shock sensors on PVC frame doors? Useful? Likely to false alarm? It's a 3-point locking door so would need some force to open it.

Sponsored Links
Not if it’s set up correctly...sorry just noticed it was a wireless version ....can’t comment ...

As long as the sensitivity is set appropriately you shouldn’t have any issues on the frame.

Sponsored Links
The mounting of a shock device will be critical to get any meaningful function.

The SC-W must be screwed to the frame to function correctly.

I have seen these mounted this year poorly (fixed to the lintel rather than the frame, and even on the most sensitive setting needing a hammer to test the vibration with some serious effort very close to where it was installed (See Texecom videos on there You tube channel). This also means it would be possible to gain access by applying force on a different part of the door and it would in all likely hood not activate. This would require prior knowledge obviously.

Recently I installed an i-on40H panel and was trying to decide whether to install a shocksensor on the patio doors. I spoke with a friend who is an alarm engineer and he advised against it saying that they can require significant impact to trigger them, sort of alluded to by secureiam. In my case due to the construction of the door and frame I'd have to use adhesive rather than screws, this would likely produce a slight dampening effect on the sensor. I ended up using a door contact but I can see the value in what sally2000 was trying to achieve in triggering an alarm before they gained entry.

The adjustment is relatively easy on the SC-W.
This works differently to Texecoms previous range, testing is also different hence the recommendation to watch the Texecom videos.

The main advantage is you have on the SC-W the contact as well as.

When it comes to testing it is important to test multiple times from the areas that are vulnerable to gaining entry. that you wish the shock to pick up from.

The adjustment is relatively easy on the SC-W.
This works differently to Texecoms previous range, testing is also different hence the recommendation to watch the Texecom videos.
Interesting. I've just looked it up.

Two questions:
1. What are the dimensions? They aren't in the Texecom spec leaflet and I couldn't find them on any website I visited. The door frame is shaped and there is only a narrow 19mm wide surface (will have to use adhesive due to the design of the door). It can't go on the door as they are bi-folds and open against the surfaces potentially crushing the device.
2. Will it work with an i-on series panel?

Thanks for the further comments. I had watched the two videos which are very helpful.

Have ordered the SC-W and will have a play when it comes, it will clearly need careful siting on the frame.

If I can't get a good compromise on sensitivity to avoid false alarms, I will just drop back to magnet only so it won't be wasted.

Navigator - it 'looks' like the same case as the earlier models, if you have one of those.

Interesting. I've just looked it up.

Two questions:
1. What are the dimensions? They aren't in the Texecom spec leaflet and I couldn't find them on any website I visited. The door frame is shaped and there is only a narrow 19mm wide surface (will have to use adhesive due to the design of the door). It can't go on the door as they are bi-folds and open against the surfaces potentially crushing the device.
2. Will it work with an i-on series panel?

Dimensions 130mm x 26mm x 25mm (magnet 57mm x 11.5mm)
Looks like it works with Premier Elite panels

Just to report back, after some experimenting the SC-W seems to work as it should on the PVC door.
I found it best on the second sensitivity setting which needed a really hard bang to set it off, so there should be little risk of a false alarm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back