Shocking job by kitchen fitter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After having spent the last couple of weeks getting everything ready for moving our kitchen into our living room, and having fitted all the base units in a mad rush to be ready in time for the 'joiner' to come and fit our worktops, I was devastated to come home from work this evening and see the job that he's done.

20161204_232806.jpg
20161204_232834.jpg
20161204_232915.jpg
20161204_232927.jpg
20161204_232952.jpg
20161204_232934.jpg

20161204_232856.jpg

Amongst the mistakes I've noticed so far are a really poor mitre, a massively uneven overhang on the breakfast bar making it difficult to open the handleless draw and reducing the overhang on the seating side, a chipped edge and not only is the sink the wrong way around (he convinced my Mrs to do it that way as 'there won't be enough room above the dishwasher for the draining board") but the draining board is now beneath a plug socket and the cut out is in the wrong place for the sink to fit in the 600 base unit and the adjoining unit has been notched inside, even that doesn't give enough clearance to slide the worktop over far enough to cover the awful gap at the end.

I'm gutted, the situation is made worse by the fact the guy isn't just someone we called up but someone we're likely to see often.

Just needed to vent my anger at this. Mrs is gutted too as she thought work was fine and actually overpaid.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
That's a bit gruesome, especially when you consider that he's using decent quality worktops (Duropal). Chip-out in picture 1 has been caused by cutting the worktop in the wrong direction (should have been turn over and sawn or routed from the underside), sort cut in picture 3 is just amateurish, whilst the mason's mitre joint in pictures 2 and 7 has just been assembled incorrectly an could have been corrected at installation time with a little bit of patience. I don't see why he couldn't have installed the drainer over the top of a dish washer (in a 38mm thick top), either, but I'm not in full possesion of the facts so I'll make no further comment. All in all, though, I've seen 2nd year apprentices do better jobs (albeit with close supervision). Not surprised that you're unhappy

The sockets have got to be 300mm away from the water, so it's just about legal, but definitely not good.

So having vented you're anger - well justified - what's you're next step. What did he charge, and what's the cost of the new worktops

there is no electrical regulation regarding spacing of sockets and sinks or taps, not even in a bathroom.

Electrical accessories, such as sockets, should be suitable for their location, which IMO (though vague) suggests they should not be in a place where they will get splashed or dripped on.

There are, however, regulations regarding spacing of electrical accessories, away from baths or shower trays.

From NICEIC website:-

How close to a sink can a socket-outlet be installed?

BS 7671 does not specify any minimum distance for socket-outlets to be from a sink.

Regulation 512-06-01 requires due account to be taken of all external influences. The Regulation requires all equipment to be of a design appropriate to the situation in which it is to be used or its mode of installation is to take account of the conditions likely to be encountered.

Accessories used in domestic installations are not designed to be splashed and therefore not suitable for installation close to a sink or draining board. The NICEIC recommends that socket-outlets and other accessories should be located at least 300 mm, measured horizontally, from a sink or draining board, where they are unlikely to be splashed.

Where circumstances require a BS 1363 socket-outlet or other accessory to be installed in a wet
location, a splash-proof accessory or an accessory having protection to IPX4 should be
considered. However, in a domestic kitchen, the industrial appearance of a splash-proof
socket-outlet is likely to be unacceptable and a standard socket-outlet located a safe distance
away is usually the preferred solution.

"recommends" and "should" are not regulations.

Thanks for that Lamchamps, I've obviously got it wrong, but I knew I'd read something to that effect somewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back