Why are kitchens so expensive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having received my first set of kitchen quotes for a gloss handleless design, 6 base units, 6 wall units, 5 tall units and 3 pan drawers to make triangular island I'm somewhat staggered that it comes to 12 grand, no worktops, no sink, no appliances, no vat and no fitting

That looks to me to be about 600 quid per flat packed chipboard carcass with a nice shiny door. How does 5 squares of chipboard and a nice solid bit of painted wood come to be £600? That single cabinet's more than I paid for my first car. Heck, the wood for the timber frame to build the entire house, including the team that will erect it is only thrice the price of the kitchen

I was rather hoping to get the kitchen for about 8 grand all in - am I a dumbass or just shopping in the wrong place?

Sponsored Links
Did a salesman come to your home?

Where have you been looking?

Why are you buying flatpacks?

Sponsored Links
I was rather hoping to get the kitchen for about 8 grand all in - am I a dumbass or just shopping in the wrong place?
Wrong place I would say. Try Ikea, good quality and price.
Even if the quality of their gloss doors isn't the best (e.g. ripples, trapped inclusions beneath the gloss vinyl, orange peel in areas - from my last visit). Have to say most people wouldn't notice it, though

Even if the quality of their gloss doors isn't the best (e.g. ripples, trapped inclusions beneath the gloss vinyl, orange peel in areas - from my last visit). Have to say most people wouldn't notice it, though
I have white gloss Ikea doors, Mrs FP is quite fussy about them, no problems like you describe in them or they would have been replaced.

There are issues with Ikea kitchens - cabinets go to the wall (no space for pipes), units are 40, 60, 80cm only, plinth only 8cm. But if you can design within those limits then you can get a great kitchen well within budget.

I have white gloss Ikea doors, Mrs FP is quite fussy about them, no problems like you describe in them or they would have been replaced.
I have seen the issues I refer to in several kitchens that I've installed as well as in IKEA showrooms on occasion. IKEA were good about replacement, but I'm still less than impressed about their QC

Did a salesman come to your home?

Where have you been looking?

Why are you buying flatpacks?

Nope; the first local little shop (not pretentious/boutiquey - we've a couple of those nolte/SieMatic ones locally. Lovely kitchens of course) we went to supplied Omega/English Rose (http://www.erkitchens.co.uk), the second was a local builders merchant who've been mega keen on everything else also did us an English Rose quote, a PWS quote and a Second Nature quote.. Remo was the style. Can't make out if PWS and SN are the same co. Vaguely given to understand that Wickes use PWS, and you know, I don't actually have any complaints with what I find in Wickes.. I've asked them to quote, along with C&L (B&Q) because of all the sheds they seem to be the best 2 for cabinetry quality.

I don't guarantee that I get a choice on the assembly from a particular co - the PWS/Remo/SN are built cabinets (apart from tall ones?), the ER kitchens are flat packed - I think the co takes a choice on whether they supply flat or built and if you order from them you get what youre given (or maybe some nugget at the little local shop gets his cordless out vefore it gets to me)

Either way, I'm less bothered about the flat packing thing - I won't be paying a fitter to assemble carcasses when I've got a perfectly good pair of hands for doing so :)

Try a quote from Benchmarx?

My contractor isn't signed up with them.. I don't suppose anyone here is?

(If I gave a list of cabinets I require, could some kind soul estimate what benchmarx will charge for them? Should I sign up myself as a tradesperson with them?)

Try a quote from Benchmarx?

My contractor isn't signed up with them.. I don't suppose anyone here is?

(If I gave a list of cabinets I require, could some kind soul estimate what benchmarx will charge for them? Should I sign up myself as a tradesperson with them?)
When I signed up no business proof was required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back