Shoe storage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

We have an L shaped stair case and at then end is currently a small door for storage. I`m wanting to do something like this for shoe storage (without the seat). And wondering where I can get thos kind of rotating hinges from to build a cabinet inside the stairs.
Any ideas? thanks
new-idea-outdoor-shoe-rack-with-seat.jpg

Sponsored Links
the hinge at the bottom of those is just a simple pivot, the front panel just hinges down on them. The door pivots on the cabinet sides.

The curved thing you can see is a plastic "side" to prevent things falling off the tilting shelf.

The factory-made ones have a plastic ferrule pressed into a hole drilled in the side so the hinge pin can pivot smoothly. They're actually quite shoddy. But the idea is clever and they take up little room in a narrow hall where you have to walk past, I think the cabinet is only about 250mm deep.

I haven't seen a pivot hinge like that at modest price, but if you wanted to make such a cab, you could hinge the door off the floor of the cabinet with an ordinary cabinet door hinge. https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/search?SearchText=butt+hinge+cabinet The loading is very low.

This pivot would do the job if you made the "shelf" with a rigid side. https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/product/concealed-pivot-hinge-50x19mm-self-colour-brass-680330 and it looks like they lift out.

Under the stairs you don't need such a narrow cabinet, I think you'd do better with simple shelves.

Last edited:
Ok thanks. This is what we have now , minus the door after refurbishment. So I'd like to put some shoe storage which is why I thought of that kind of storage.
Any ideas what I could do? There aren't any sides near the opening so think drawers are out of the question.
IMG_20181116_200842.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back