Short course, no prior knowledge, do your own spark work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just stumbled on this:-

http://www.ambrosetraining.co.uk/View_electrical_training_course.php?cid=148

Take a look at D101 "domestic electric installer" course

Is this correct?

I am currently hip deep in converting my loft. I am at the point now where I need to start thinking about electrical installation. I have done 1st and 2nd fix spark work about 10 years ago (was a sparkies mate for a while). I have no sparky electrical qualification though. I was wondering what my options were beyond getting a spark to do all the work. I then stumbled on the course above, that seems surprising (no former quals, do the course then you can do your own work).

Two questions then:-

(a) Is the above correct?
(b) What are my options regarding my electrical installation? I would like to do as much of the work myself as I can. Note that my brother is a fully qualified sparky and had just done 17th edition update, he has offered to help but he is NOT part P qualified. I have building control involved (nothing dodgy going on!)

Cheers

Sponsored Links
1) It'll be around half that at a college rather than a private provider.

2) Unless, basically, you already know most of what you need the course will be useless at teaching it, and you'll struggle to pass.

3) You don't need any qualifications to be allowed to do DIY electrical work, only to join one of the schemes that allow you to self-certify. Passing that course would not be enough to allow you to self-certify, so you'd still need to go the LABC notification route, which you've done already.

When you applied for approval for the loft, what did you say would be the way you'd comply with P1?

Don't waste your money on that course.

The only way to learn how to do electrical installation work is to spend years working with electricians and watching, helping and doing whilst supervised.

The theory side plays an important part in your training, but you can NOT learn a trade at college and absoloutly definatly never in 5 days.

It's a joke that these courses even exist.

You would be much better to submit an application to your local building control office to carry out your own electrics, and they will make sure everything is done properly and legally.

You are in a great position of having a brother who can usually design the installation for you, and then help and guide you to do some or more of the work yourself.

Thanks for the replies gents, much obliged.

Not sure what building control stance is on this aspect of the works. I will be asking them on Monday to clarify my options. I guess that they maybe assumed there would be a sparky doing the work and they would simply want to see the relevant certificates. This would have been the case had the original build gone to plan but the builder ran off with my money and left me with the roof open and major damge everywhere! Anyway, I am just trying to re-build my house now with limited funds I have left. I guess I will opt to do the work myself with my brother supervising then I assume BC will appoint an electrical tester/inspector?

Sponsored Links
I guess I will opt to do the work myself with my brother supervising then I assume BC will appoint an electrical tester/inspector?
If your brother is fully qualified, then he could do the testing etc., however don't assume anything where BC is concerned - ask them what they want.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back