Shortsighted Diesel Withdrawl

According to latest research the hybrid vehicles are more polluting than new diesels.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If you drill through the summaries to the reports behind them then the results are generally:

https://theicct.org/publications/phev-real-world-usage-sept2020

• Fleet PHEV users don't bother plugging in.
  • All ICE cars, including PHEV, real world emissions are higher than rated values.
  • PHEVs emit less pollutants overall than normal vehicles, but not as well as the ratings imply.

Last edited:
My newest car is a 2001 Peugeot 406 Estate, diesel 2.0 HDi. Honestly it is a fantastic motor. It's not particularly quick (rated at 88hp when new), it's quite dated inside, but it's so efficient on fuel and it's proven to be very reliable in the few years I've had it. That to me trumps the benefits of buying anything new, which is partly why I haven't.

My 2L outputs close to double that.

At the moment, people/families on low incomes can keep a basic older car on the road for relatively little money. I wonder if the same will hold true for EVs in years to come (referring to when they go wrong.)

Report does not cover VOC’s . Only CO2 emmisions.
I haven't found the study behind the report, but it sounded like they were only looking at engine starts and a few minutes after that. Which is an odd range to study, but T&E paid for it so they get what they want.

Transport and Environment are a bit too strident for me. I agree with their conclusions but it feels like they're happy to overstate their case.

At the moment, people/families on low incomes can keep a basic older car on the road for relatively little money. I wonder if the same will hold true for EVs in years to come (referring to when they go wrong.)
Maintenance is lower on EVs as there's less to go wrong. And less parts to check so hopefully easier to fix. As long as the battery lasts they're very cheap to own and run.

My newest car is a 2001 Peugeot 406 Estate, diesel 2.0 HDi. Honestly it is a fantastic motor. It's not particularly quick (rated at 88hp when new), it's quite dated inside, but it's so efficient on fuel and it's proven to be very reliable in the few years I've had it. That to me trumps the benefits of buying anything new, which is partly why I haven't.

My 2L outputs close to double that.

The 2.0 Hdi was/is a brilliant engine, we had a Citroen Xantia estate when they switched to twin turbos, increased power and better fuel efficiency, after that a peugeot 407 with the same engine.

I haven't found the study behind the report, but it sounded like they were only looking at engine starts and a few minutes after that. Which is an odd range to study, but T&E paid for it so they get what they want.

Transport and Environment are a bit too strident for me. I agree with their conclusions but it feels like they're happy to overstate their case.
Engine starts create greatest pollution, a hybrid can have dozens or many more during a journey.

Maintenance is lower on EVs as there's less to go wrong. And less parts to check so hopefully easier to fix. As long as the battery lasts they're very cheap to own and run.

This is what I'm referring to. As long as a combustion engine keeps chugging along with parts replaced here and there, the car stays on the road. Yes I appreciate these engines also have a finite life. However I wonder how cheap replacement batteries will be if they are beyond service/repair?

Sponsored Links
Back