Shotgun conduit with integral CPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Has anyone seen this before? I'm rewiring a load of retirement flats (not the flats themselves, but their supplies - which were previously on one huge shared 3 phase metering scheme)

in the process of dragging in loads of SWA sub mains for the individual supplies and liaising with the DNO, I've spotted loads of this stuff.

It varies in size, from what looks like 1mm equiv for lighting to around 6mm. It's a black PVC (i think) shotgun conduit with the (quite small by T&E standards) CPC captive in the centre (I'd say the 2.5mm looking cable has a 1mm if not smaller earth).
The actual cores (not CPC) could if required be pulled out of the conduit, they are either single insulated cores for the smaller sizes and stranded for the larger cables, with the old colours. I'd suggest the flats were built around mid 1970's, certainly the lead sheathed aluminium electricity supply cables are dated around that time.

The cable is something I've not seen before. The conduit (if you can call it that is a fairly tight fit around the cores, certainly you couldn't get another of the same core down there, and I'm pretty sure pulling one of the same down to replace the existing would be near impossible too.

Has anyone else seen this stuff? I can't personally see the advantage over T&E, as despite being conduit, it couldn't be re-cabled from what I can see, and it's slightly less flexible and bigger than it's T&E equivalent.

Just interested I suppose - everyday is a school day!

-Dan

Sponsored Links
I think it's that stuff they used on flats and hotels etc that could buried directly in concrete floors and plaster, whatever it's called.

That would make sense. It is buried in places. What's it called, it's a new one to me!!

Sponsored Links
If I had to pick one of my two suggestions, I'd place my nuts on Aercon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back