Should a full fuel tank.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
.......make the suspension dip noticeably on that side?

I ask as, when measuring my tyre tread depths today, I couldn't get my hand between the arch and wheel on the fuel tank side.

Before I get back down to Toyota, would a full (standard) tank make that much difference to the ride height?
(Nothing in boot at all, before anyone asks).

TIA :)

Sponsored Links
Firstly your fuel tank will be central-ish and will cover most of the width of the vehicle so it should not make one side of the car drop. This is actually the way they are designed. Secondly you don't think that suspension items don't break even after a 12500 service? Maybe the mechanic was rubbish, an awful lot of them are, or maybe it did actually break after 1000 miles.

Sponsored Links
Would have thought most cars made now are designed with lhs drive so the fuel tanks tend to be balanced on the opposite side slightly.

Try parking it facing the other way and see if the problem moves to the other side. As others have said, fuel tanks are generally roughly central and shouldn't cause the car to drop much. About 10 mm on my Sharan, which has an enormous tank.

.......make the suspension dip noticeably on that side?

I ask as, when measuring my tyre tread depths today, I couldn't get my hand between the arch and wheel on the fuel tank side.

Before I get back down to Toyota, would a full (standard) tank make that much difference to the ride height?
(Nothing in boot at all, before anyone asks).

TIA :)
50l of petrol weighs about as much as the average 11-12 year old boy. If someone like that made the car dip noticeably when they got into the back seat, would you think that might be OK?

Would have thought most cars made now are designed with lhs drive so the fuel tanks tend to be balanced on the opposite side slightly.
But aren't Toyotas designed in a country where RHD is the norm? AFAIK Japan drives on the same side of the road as we do

If you don't think you can break a spring in 1000 miles I invite you for a drive on some of the country roads round here - I've destroyed three alloy wheels in 10 years (1 x Saab, 2 x Citroen) as well as having a torsion bar on my Citroen van snap

A photo would help along with the model of car. Does the car have active suspension? If you can't get your hand under the wheel arch then it sounds like there is a problem, unless you are stretching? :D

gleb002.jpg

Sponsored Links
Back