Should billionaires and multinationals pay fair tax?

They could keep the rent the same and pass it on as a separate charge. It could cost the tenant less with no council tax.
Do you think that abolishing council tax and replacing it with a land tax would result in everyone paying less than they do now under council tax.
And if it will only apply to empty land then builders will get around it by starting to build and then stop.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
if they could afford a house then they would not be renting in the first place
Yes. You understand why many can't get onto the housing ladder?

Even though mortgage repayments are usually less than rental costs?

I think we might be getting there.

If there were 25 million houses, and total council tax income was one billion pounds

You could get one billion pounds of LVT instead, and charge the average house less

Because you would also be charging LVT on land that did not have a house on it.

If you charged one pound per square metre of land (or one penny, or any other figure that takes your fancy) then a person owning a plot half the size of mine would pay half as much LVT as me. And a person owning a plot twice the size of mine would pay twice as much LVT as me.

tell me, @aveatry if you think that is wrong.

Yes. You understand why many can't get onto the housing ladder?

Even though mortgage repayments are usually less than rental costs?

I think we might be getting there.
Wrong
"Renting a place to live is now cheaper than owning a first home in nearly all UK regions, research from Halifax has revealed. The Halifax Owning vs Renting Review found the monthly cost of owning a first home compared to the equivalent rental cost was higher in nine out of the 12 UK regions or nations in 2023.28 Mar 2024"

If there were 25 million houses, and total council tax income was one billion pounds

You could get one billion pounds of LVT instead, and charge the average house less

Because you would also be charging LVT on land that did not have a house on it.

If you charged one pound per square metre of land (or one penny, or any other figure that takes your fancy) then a person owning a plot half the size of mine would pay half as much LVT as me. And a person owning a plot twice the size of mine would pay twice as much LVT as me.

tell me, @aveatry if you think that is wrong.
Some how I do not think that it would result in a lower LVT than current council tax for any property - the temptation would just be too strong to resist for any government to not create it starting higher than it is now.
And how is it going to be worked out how much land my house sits on.

Wrong
"Renting a place to live is now cheaper than owning a first home in nearly all UK regions, research from Halifax has revealed. The Halifax Owning vs Renting Review found the monthly cost of owning a first home compared to the equivalent rental cost was higher in nine out of the 12 UK regions or nations in 2023.28 Mar 2024"
But if more houses were for sale?

Keep going, we are getting there.

And your link doesn't answer why many can't get onto the property ladder

Oh and it's the 1st time in about 10 to 15 years, and excludes costs like stamp duty etc. But I'm sure you know that

What's wrong with people buying a house and then it rising massively in value. What have you got against that.

Some how I do not think that it would result in a lower LVT than current council tax for any property -

No reason why not. That's just your made- up objection.

If it stayed exactly the same for the average house, there would still be lots of extra revenue, which would mean we could afford to repair NHS hospitals, replace crumbling concrete on school halls, and mend some of the potholes.

No reason why not. That's just your made- up objection.

If it stayed exactly the same for the average house, there would still be lots of extra revenue, which would mean we could afford to repair NHS hospitals, replace crumbling concrete on school halls, and mend some of the potholes.
Yes in your world but do you trust that a Government would not take the opportunity of raising more from everyone. Why do you think a government would not do so.

An investigation by the BBC revealed that the supply of rental homes in the UK had contracted drastically. This steep decline has caused a surge in demand and inevitably driven the cost of rent up by an average of 11%.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65090846

That link disproves your point. You are not arguing against yourself and why LVT is needed.

Did you fall on your head at a young age?

Yes in your world but do you trust that a Government would not take the opportunity of raising more from everyone. Why do you think a government would not do so.

So businesses don't raise prices or try to corner a market? How old are you?

So you are saying that the landlord will have to pay for the tenents schools, street repairs, parks and leisure facilities and refuse collection police and fire coverage. And that will not have an effect of increasing the rent

Who puts the value into all that? The people living there.

You just don't get it because your mind is simply closed - its like telling someone their religion is just hocus pocus.

Sponsored Links
Back