Should estate agent notify me a house needs rewiring?

zj

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in the process of purchasing a property and from experience I had an electricity test carried out at my own expense.

The property was built in 1965 and from the electricity report it is in need of a complete rewire.

The property is currently a rental property and the tennant was aware a full rewire was needed and after speaking to the estate agent they werent very shocked to say the least when i told them.

If they were aware should they have notified me as we are now virtually at the point of exchanging contracts?

Sponsored Links
No. They are paid by the seller! The onus is on you to undertake due diligence.

If they were aware should they have notified me as we are now virtually at the point of exchanging contracts?
It's not the estate agents responsibility to inform you that the property is in need of any type of improvement, it is up to you to have the correct surveys and checks done. Once you have acquired information regarding any improvement, then you ask for the price to be adjusted accordingly or decide not to go forward with the purchase.

The property is currently a rental property and the tennant was aware a full rewire was needed and after speaking to the estate agent they werent very shocked to say the least when i told them. If they were aware should they have notified me as we are now virtually at the point of exchanging contracts?
You say they were 'aware' of the need for a re-wire and that they weren't surprised when you told them, but what makes you think that they were qualified or competent to make a judgement about the state of an electrical installation? If they had told you of a need for a re-wire (without being qualified to) and had been wrong, then the seller might well have sued them - just as if they had told you, incorrectly, that a motorway was soon to be built through the back garden!

Do I take it that this is the first time you've been involved in buying a house?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
it may also need a new roof underpinning new plumbing have dry rot
what survey did you have done :D
and if you say the buildings society homebuyers report then all the above and much more can be wrong the survey is to tell them its worth what they are lending and they need not tell you anything
indeed you can ask if the homebuyers report was fine they can say yes as it meets there criterior as in worth what they are lending and as above falling down

I had an electricity test carried out at my own expense.

I should hope it was at your own expense! Who else should of paid for it?

Well done for actually getting it checked, there are many nieve people who would have not, and would have moved in, decorated, tiled the kitchen floor, laminated the hall, and then realised it needed a rewire.

Same as a drain survey, very few people have this carried out but it could turn out very expensive. Normally the repair bill can be taken off the asking price.

You also get your own 'dirty' dvd. :LOL: :LOL:

Andy

No.

They are not allowed to mis-describe it, but that's not the same thing.

Thanks for all the replies.

This is the second house i'm looking to buy and got the electricity tested as my brother bought a house a couple of years back round the corner which needed a complete rewire but only found out after he had moved in.

I guess its time to try and negotiate a better price as we have been looking for ages to try and find the right property.

Is there a tenant in the property and if so will they be there after you have bought it ?

If so then you need to be carefull as you will become their landlord and then have a duty of care which will include making the electrical installation safe. As the tenants are aware of problems with the electrics you may get put under pressure to get the work done.

As the tenant knew of the problems it is likely the present owner knows about them but did not declare them. ( unless the tenant chose not to mention them to the landlord).

That failure to declare a known problem would be a good starting point for your solicitor to press for a reduction in price.

Are you sure the present owner is not trying to get rid of a problem house with a sitting tenant who (s)he cannot get to vacate the property.

The property was previously owned by a couple who moved away for work and it has been rented out for the past two years.

As far as im aware the tennant will be given 1 months notice upon exchange of contracts to vacate the property before completion date. I have spoken to my solicitor in relation to this and he is dealing with the matter for me.

When my electrician did the test and told the tennant the property needs rewiring he said he became aware of this after a visit from the energy company in the past few weeks who came over to service the boiler and certify it to be gas safe. It is in a report that was provided but im not sure exactly what it stated in relation to the electrics.

My solicitor is going to pursue the matter for me.

As far as im aware the tennant will be given 1 months notice upon exchange of contracts to vacate the property before completion date.
Unless the tenant doesn't go.

I have spoken to my solicitor in relation to this and he is dealing with the matter for me.
That's alright then. It shouldn't cost much.

BEWARE.

I guess its time to try and negotiate a better price as we have been looking for ages to try and find the right property.
Indeed - and good luck! You could hit a problem if the vendor argues that the need for a re-wire is 'fairly obvious', even to a layman, and that they therefore took this into account when setting the asking price, and when accepting the price you offered. You may wish to rehearse some resposnes to that one!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back