House Survey Recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was asked to have a look at the electrics in a house which a customer has just had an offer accepted on. The house is 38 years old.
When I got there the customer showed me the survey results. There wasn't much on the electrics but it did say:
- The consumer unit needed replacing.
- The sockets needing replacing (because they were unswitched)
- It would probably need a rewire.
- Cables in the boiler cupboard were clipped to the wall

The new owner wanted me to have a look and try and determine what work was required and how much it would cost as he was now going to try and get a reduction on the asking price. The problem was that as the contracts had not been exchanged the estate agent insisted on being there so I only had an hour to give it the once over.

The consumer unit definately needed replacing so this was easy enough, however :
Is there a requirement to change the sockets to unswitched? (ie would the new owner be able to use this as justification for reducing the price).

Also, who is to say that a rewire is necessary? obviously a full test would highlight any problems but even then, a rewire isn't necessarily the answer. I suggested to the new owner that as the property is nearly 40 years old it is probably due, and that now would be a good time, but he says he can't really afford it and if he asked the old owner to pay half, would the old owner have a case for saying that a rewire is not necessary.

I checked a sample of sockets and switches and everything looks ok, properly sleeved etc. The lights have an earth. Obvious mods (Whirlpool bath, pond pump) seem to be have done as correctly as possible with rcd's added, both bondings are there with correct size cable.

I think the guy was trying to get me to put in writing that a full re-wire is necessary so he could go back and get a reduction but I am a bit loathe to do this when there is no obvious evidence to back this up. The fact that there is a dearth of sockets and that they are unswitched is more of an improvement than a requirement isn't it?

Sponsored Links
- The consumer unit needed replacing.
- It would probably need a rewire.
Possibly, depends on what is wrong with the old CU and if any problems with the old wiring. However old in itself isn't a reason for total replacement.

The sockets needing replacing (because they were unswitched)
Rubbish. No requirement for switched sockets (although they are usually fitted). Switching and isolation can be achieved by removing the plug.

Cables in the boiler cupboard were clipped to the wall
So what?

537.1.1 shows what may be used to isolate and what is required to switch etc. As far as I can see if under 32A a plug and socket may be used to isolate so there is no need for a switch on the socket.

As far as the re-wire goes from what you say "In the limited time available for the inspection other than the consumer unit not complying with current regulations, no wiring faults were found" If that is true then that's all you can say. You could add "To complete a full inspection and test x hours will be required" and "From my experience wiring of this age normally has some faults and I recommend as required in BS7671:2008 that on change of occupancy a full periodic inspection report is carried out."

Does that sound about right? If you want to write something longer you could include something on the lines. "A sample of sockets were removed for inspection."

In 1970 we had moved to PVC cables and one could find the cables are OK. But when my daughter moved a sum of money was held back by the solicitors pending the successful adoption of the road by the council. I am sure if the owners will not pay for a PIR prior to changing contracts money could be held pending a clean bill of health once the PIR was completed.

But do remember public liberality insurance for you will not be enough for this work and professional Indemnity Insurance will be required. As it is your professional knowledge which is being paid for not work completed.

Thanks for the quick replies.

I was pretty sure that the unswitched sockets wasn't a problem. There is definately a dearth of them - another reason I gave for a suggested rewire - but its certainly not a reason to ask for a discount IMO.

As for the clipped wires I opened the cupboard expecting to see a right mess but was surprised at how neat they actually were. I suppose they could be in trunking but its hardly a show stopper.

ericmark - the wording you use neatly encapsulates what I want to say, thanks very much.

I think I will suggest (and quote for) a full PIR followed by an upgrade of the CU. Then give a seperate quote for a full re-wire. Whether the re-wire is necessary as a result of the PIR or merely because they may as well do it whilst empty and pre-decorated, is something that can be sorted between the buyer and seller. How does that sound?

Sponsored Links
sounds about right, I was asked recently for a price on a rewire, punter was going to use quotes to knock down selling price, I went to see, did visual insp', suggested new CU, Upgrade of main bond etc, as I said to buyer and seller, if anyone dissagrees with my findings, get a 2nd opinion, apparently surveyor told them it needed rewiring, I asked if he was a qualified spark, guess not!!!

I wouldn't recommend a rewire at any stage unless it was obvious it was required. Your putting you Professional Indemnity Insurance at risk (if you have it) as if someone else was to come along and argue it didn't need a rewire you could be libel for the loss to the seller after the price was renegotiated or the loss to the buyer if they were forking out for the rewire. It's a terrible state of affairs the world we live in today as everyone wants their pound of flesh one way or another. It's a shame that an honest mans opinion can't be just that rather then something that has to be upheld in court if someone else thinks differently.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back