Should I always clean this gutter out?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got lots of leaves and sand off block paving which was pressure washed. Figured it could block drain if left? Is it best to regularly clean out?
DSC_0253.JPG

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Simple answer = Yes to both questions.

clean the holes in the grids too.

Sponsored Links
Simple answer = Yes to both questions.

clean the holes in the grids too.
Wet and dry vac?

I don't know how so many leaves get through the holes into the gulley drain thing.

I just been scooping the sand and leaves out with a trowel

Not a good sign!
When it was pressure washed the sand from joints ran down into the drain gulley thing in picture, whatever it's called. It was replaced with sand although a bit late in my opinion as bits of leaves etc had got into the cracks and are now mixed with sand that was swept in

When it was pressure washed the sand from joints

The problem with pressure washing block paving is that the sand from the joints AND from under the blocks is washed out and the blocks can then move. If additional sand is added then, unless the blocks are dry and wackered then the sand doesn't fill the voids created.

The problem with pressure washing block paving is that the sand from the joints AND from under the blocks is washed out and the blocks can then move. If additional sand is added then, unless the blocks are dry and wackered then the sand doesn't fill the voids created.

A builder told me the same but most window cleaners/softwashers who clean this use pressure washers. They say need to blast out moss etc

15386580070672112465474.jpg
This is the drain after a week. Do even this amount of leaves need taking out? How about drain hole itself, how u clean that?

The leaves will soon turn into a mess of stinking slime....prevent them getting in if you can. Clean the drain out with a wet vac.
John :)

I have similar drain covers on my drive, where rainwater is directed towards.

They obviously need clearing out especially during the autumn months. It's worth fixing a mesh to the top of the drain gully as well to stop leaves/debris working down the piping and collecting there over the years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back