Should I ask for these plastic fittings to be replaced with copper?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moving the kitchen, so this is hot water to the kitchen from boiler, cold water back from the mains, and the mains (L-R).

Hot water is already dropping a little bit. This end will be covered with wooden floor, but the other end will be covered in concrete - although I can ask for an access hatch. But, replacing it later would be very costly and messy, as I'd have to get the floor dug up and kitchen removed!

IMG_20180613_210132480_LL.jpg

(Sink is temporary until floor put in)

IMG_20180613_211007124_LL.jpg

IMG_20180613_211307365.jpg

I am wondering if it is supposed to all be temporary, but not sure why they'd do it like that if it was.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That's not important. The concern is, should I have copper all the way? I am thinking the answer is yes. But I have seen these fittings used successfully in other houses I lived in. Maybe the type of copper pipe here just wont fit?

Sponsored Links
? Ok, they being the company I have asked to do the work for me.

Well... " Company" is ambiguous... Bet they're not a plumbing "company"... I am, and whilst I use pushfit where appropriate, I wouldn't use that brand of pushfit and I wouldn't join it onto copper in that condition or like that.

thank you. They are builders, and use a plumber, which is why I think this might just be a temporary set up to keep us with a sink and washing machine while they knock the wall out and get ready for the plasterer. They mentioned that a plumber was coming to do all the other bits. I will politely say something like "is this just a temporary set up, as I noticed one of those plastic fittings is leaking a bit?". And then whatever the reply is, say that I'd be happier with copper all the way please, thank you! I am pretty sure this is the case, as everything else they have done has been excellent. Will catch them in the morning.

Judging by the photos, I'd say that the pipe run across the floor - with the cable ties holding it together looks like it's there to stay which is not a bad thing with no fittings on it if it's to eventually to be screeded over... It would be better if they were kept apart using proper clips (to avoid thermal bridging/heat transfer) if done in copper they would need to be protected from any cement based screed that may be used to cover them up.

There should be no issue with you confirming with 'da company' what the final materials and setup will look like or what preference you have for materials & fittings. They will have costed with the materials they are using though and if then asked to use others that are more expensive then that may be another discussion. You should have the type of relationship with them where questions like that are not an issue and should be easily answered.

As @dilalio mentions, nothing wrong with plastic in concrete as long as it's an unbroken length.

what about the fittings though? I agree that plastic under concrete gives more peace of mind, but what about connecting it to the old copper pipes?
What is riskier?

If you want copper with soldered fittings then ask for it but be prepared to pay... This is what annoys me... I lose some jobs because I quote for it to be soldered copper and Mr "Plumber for today" quotes cheaper and slings a load of plastic in, any old how... Only then does customer pay attention and question the method :cautious:

I am happy to pay, materials were never mentioned in the initial quote but I would expect soldered copper every time.

When it comes to me, anywhere above ground that is copper to copper should use either solder if permanent or brass compression if temp. Certainly not plastic on copper, especially those push fits, just looks unprofessional IMO.

Always pays to ensure you specify exactly what you want at the start, or if anything is not what you want then say immediately at the time. Always harder to sort out later down the line once it's been there for some time.

Thanks. Hopefully it will be sorted soon. Where the pipes run will be covered with celutex and then screeded over. I assume that will be protection enough?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back