Should I be paying this much for Laminate or is it labour?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We have been advised on laminate Quickstep 950 range for a hallway as its cheaper than real wood, less prone to dents and scratches etc. Happy with that but we have looked at sourcing the goods ourselves on eg flooringdirect over the internet?

Has anyone done this and it is reliable or should I get the installers to get their own materials.

Reason I ask is, over the internet it's around £300 for 11 sq meters - but I have been quoted £875 (incl parts, labour and VAT and shaving a few door bottoms too.?) by a local flooring company.

Should I take him up on that? It seems a big markup on labour of £500?

Any guidance appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You will need to stick on a few quid for underlay of some sort and possibly a damp proof membrame.

If you're using quadrants/beading or having the skirting removed then you will also need to factor this in as well.

When I had laminate floors put down recently (lounge, dining room, hallway all flowing through with skirting taken off and put back on) the labour charge was around £335 for approx 30 sq m.

Well I factored in an underlay and beading, rose fittings for pipes and even sealant etc etc and it still only cam to under £300 for 9.5mm QuickStep.

As its a hallway it's fiddly I'm told and not a big open place area but still if that's what you paid I think I'm being ripped off somewhat... perhaps a regional variation? I'm in London where are you?

Anyone else provide any labour charges? they said 1 day for 2 or 3 of them for 11 sq meters and shavin g a few doors - include downstairs toilet (not removing just cutting round) but still.....seems very high?

Besides £500 for one day (a hallway and toilet are fidly indeed and can take one person 1 whole day versus installing 25 sq m in a straight forward lounge in 1 day) is on the high side, whatever price you're willing to pay there's not really a difference in installing a melamine laminted floor or a wood-engineerd or solid floor, work (and time) is mostly the same.

Sponsored Links
Yup well thanks for confirming unless of course I got the Quikstep pricing wrong?

Anyone confirm that 11 m Sq + 1m sq for wastage so say 12 m sq is approx £300 with the trimmings (eg beading, underlay, roses etc)

Thanks for everyones help - this forum is sooooo good and long may it continue.

9% wastage is a bit low you need between 15 and 20% to be safe

ask for a breakdown of costs if your not shure but remember the fitter will put on a markup for materials if he supplies them because he is resposible for those materials and replacing any faulty boards
if you buy them and say 5 boards are dammaged in transit and you dont notice the waisted time making a second trip to finnish the job will be your responcibility at your cost the same goes if you supply any unsutable components that cant be fitted

Thanks Big-all - good advise - hadn't thought about that so certainly worth factoring in fitters having to come back etc.

Finally, as the laminate will go into the downstairs toilet - we don't want to uplift the toilet (as some suggested) as I don't think these things ever sit back properly.

So what's the best finish for that tight curve round the edge - not sure if scotia will work on such a tight bend even if you use multiple bits.

Does the Quikstep colour matched sealant work well or is there some other magical solution?

we don't want to uplift the toilet (as some suggested) as I don't think these things ever sit back properly.

I would not worry about lifting the pot, you should have enough spare movement in the soil pipe to be able to reseat it a little higher, however, if it's close-coupled then youve got a bit more work as the cistern will need to be unscrewed and then screwed in a little higher. Personally, i think it will look sooooo much better than a time consuming and rarely satisfactory attempt at cutting the flooring.

Each to his/her own though and don't forget, talk is cheap

if you choose to cut round the toilet assuming its a white suite use sanitary silicon sealent to fill the space round the toilet and flair it in from the porcelin to the floor this is likly to take 2 or 3 applications if done properly it looks like its all one :D ;)

Labour costs for fitting laminate flooring should be no higher than £14m2 unless its a small or awkward area then a day rate should be used which for a laminate floorlayer should be around £175 per man.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Frank, i haven't seen you on the TV for years but you've lost none of your sense of humour :LOL: :LOL: £175 per day for a laminate fitter :LOL: :LOL: you really kill me :LOL: :LOL:

PS Please forward details of where i should apply; money is much better than i'm getting at the moment......

Leaky old boy I am a flooring contractor and like it it or not thats the rate for a good fitter

Franky old boy, as one flooring installer to another: would you put 2 - 3 man on a job of 11 sq m laminate and ask £ 175 a day per person?

I'd certainly put one guy in there, but not for less than £175. Be cheaper for me to send him home for the day.

Then we think alike: one guy and one fixed costs for labour on a small job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back