Should I be paying this much for Laminate or is it labour?

Well this certainly throws the cat amongst the pidgeons. So I was right to question the £875 quote then I guess for - what I've now been told by another fitter using an electronic measuring devide is actually 9.07 sq m.

So even with the £175 per day (discussion still on going ;o)) this should be approx:
Materials - quickstep 950 + all finishing + markup! = approx £350 ???
Labour max for 2 days = approx £350

Total = £700 - so where does this fitter get £875 from - cos he puts 2 men on a small floor or is the creative accounting :eek:

Sponsored Links
cardob00 said:
Well this certainly throws the cat amongst the pidgeons. So I was right to question the £875 quote then I guess for - what I've now been told by another fitter using an electronic measuring devide is actually 9.07 sq m.

So even with the £175 per day (discussion still on going ;o)) this should be approx:
Materials - quickstep 950 + all finishing + markup! = approx £350 ???
Labour max for 2 days = approx £350

Total = £700 - so where does this fitter get £875 from - cos he puts 2 men on a small floor or is the creative accounting :eek:

are you saying the room is only around 10 ft by 10 ft [3m by 3m]

just multiply the length by the width and thats your square m or yards

big-all said:
are you saying the room is only around 10 ft by 10 ft [3m by 3m]

just multiply the length by the width and thats your square m or yards
And then don't forget to add sufficinet saw-waste on top of it. In small areas around 7 - 10%, then find out what the exact amount of sqare meters are in one pack and buy that many packs that cover everything including your saw-waste.

Sorry floor installers of the world, you are worth what people are prepared to pay and if that's what you're getting then good on ya! However, with regard to cardob00 his cat and the pidgeons, it does still seem a little on the steep side??????

Might you not agree just a little bit in the interest of goodwill????

Cards, i would shop around but good luck and remember, if that's what people are paying then that's what it costs! :eek:

Sponsored Links
ok firstly my room is actually downstairs hallway and cloakroom so yes 9.1 sq m + wastage approx 10 sqm.

So local chap came round, recommends and fits Pergo (best one he says, invented laminate ???, 50 yrd Guar. etc etc). Quoted £300 inc VAT for laying it - so better than the £500 prev I had. Hey if you in london (north west) and can better £300 please don't feel backward to come forward!

Who needs Quickstep anyhow - lol

So may be Pergo is the way to go - looks like he will do a proper job - llift toilet - cut round skirting on door frames as the scotia won't look good on tight bends etc.

Still making a good £70 or so on the material costs but hey its a business.

Pergo is normally more expensive to buy than Quickstep. Cant the guy who quoted top fit that quote to fit the Quickstep. From what you're saying this is a 1 man 1 day job so even at £300 that sems a little steep. Is there any prep work involved or is it just a straight fit albeit with some awkward cutting to be done.

Speaking of cats and pidgeons......
Lay it yourself and save £300, it's not rocket science.
one weekend work, job done, go away for the following weekend and spend £300 at a plush hotel to celebrate your new found skills. lol :LOL:

Genious!
What a great little guide.
I know 'tradesmen' tend to frown on DIYers but for non life-threatening jobs or skilled:LOL: (things that don't bite back!! avoid electrics and structural work) I really don't understand why people will pay astronomical labour charges for relatively simple tasks...

We never frown on DIY-ers (quarter of our life-blood ;)) and the better 'educated' the better a name natural wooden flooring gets.

Well this site is called DIYNOT! I do attempt some simple things like painting and decor and bit of plumbing etc but finishing and cutting the wood round tricky door frames worries me a bit. After all getting an expensive wood floor with a bad finish is worse than getting a cheap floor with a good finish - I think.

So will prob go with the Pergo flooring as Mr Local tradesman says he has it left from a cancelled job and at £15 per sq meter it sounded good - untill i saw it was £15.50 on websites anyhow normal price - why do they do this - do people think we are stupid...or just not internet savvy...

As for the Pergo scotia at £16.95 per 240cm strips - really??? Hmmm is Pergo really that expensive - and their pergo £26 wooden carpet to floor door trims? lol perhaps I will do it myself and order it online or am I trying to get something for nothing now...

Skirting is white - or off white more - but does it make that much difference?

I plucked up the courage to ask why a 2.4m strip of scotia cost £16.95 and was told it's £6.95 for the scotia and £10 to fit each strip! - even though the labour charge of £300 was given separately - hmmm. And why you may ask was is separated ? Answer : well that was just for the floor itself not scotia and door trims (which again cost extra to fit)

Do I have Big D on my forehead or something? lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back