Should I build the roof or the walls first?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am new to the forum, but have been reading the posts for a while now, and am about to embark on a project that will need lots of advice.

I have just leased a large plot of land - nominal rent.

It has an old building - one half is most likley over 100 years old, and was a stone animal shed. It has solid walls, but no roof.

The second half is a younger addition, probably turn of the century, it has gable walls, but nothing else - it was once a glass house.

We plan on making the structures habital- but basic - this is going to be used for weekend breaks and vacations so we are not so worried about luxury living.

In fact for now we are happy to have a damp free enviroment with a simple solid fire stove and compost toilet, with a solar shower.

As one side has walls, it would seem pretty easy to construct the corrugated roof that we are planning- can we do that and simply support it on the other side, or should we build the walls on the other side first?

The reason we are thinking of this route, is that once the roof is on we can use one side, and take our time with the rest.

But if we have to build the walls etc it will take al ot longer.

I appreciate any advice.

Sponsored Links
I can't quite envisage your project? :confused:

It may be possible to build a standard twin gable pitched roof whilst only having say two elevations built, i.e. the wall plate supporting walls. But this would be bonkers because the roof would need loads of additional support to prevent spread.

Is this project being run past the authorities i.e. building control and planning?

Do you have a designer/architect on board?

He didn't specify which century! I'll hazard a guess it's the 14th century. :LOL:

Anyone else want a go?

Sponsored Links
Which would make the first part over 700 years old!

Must be due for a new DPC and re-wire by now!

Hi Guys,.

Thanks for all the advice - you really cleared things up for me :rolleyes:

Just checked the historic data - its an old victorian walled garden, the origonal part of the building was there before construction, and is circa 1600

The other side is from the time the mansion house was built, around 1800.

As for the roof, any ideas?

Walls support roof. You want roof, you gotta have support for it.
So yes you can construct the corrugated roof that you are planning as long as it is adequately supported. It doesn't really make a difference how old it is - the fundamentals of building from the ground up still apply.
Also if it is that old then you may find the remains are listed or there are some other ties to building on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back