Should I buy a house with a pitched felt roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm a first-time buyer with not a fat lot of knowledge about houses. I have an offer in on a semi with a pitched felt roof, but have become concerned by the quote in the bank's survey that says that the roofs have a limited life span and are liable to sudden failure.The house has no attic and is skylight lit, so now I'm having visions of the roof caving in in the middle of the night.

The house was built mid 2000 and appears in good condition otherwise. The surveyors didn't trouble themselves to actually inspect the roof, so I don't have any more information at the moment, although the report also adds that the reduced price of the house reflects the roof.

Any and all comments welcome, as I don't really know a roof from my elbow.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
So @ that age you`re looking @ a new roofcovering in 10 years - what you need to do now is get some info on metal roofing :idea: there used to be a bod called hardmetalking posting on here - seemed to know his stuff . Also you need qualified advice that it could be clad with sheet metal . Work out the price and make an offer allowing for the cost of re roofing - then lower the offer more ;)

Thanks,

A bit of further info that might be relevant. The roof isn't as pitched as I thought - I'd say 30-40% of it is actually flat. I'd imagine this will affect the lifespan of the roof.

you need not worry about the roof collapsing it wont it will start to leak then you know it needs replacing not the roof wooden structure just the waterproof covering with maybe spot repairs iff its been leaking for a prolonged period

Sponsored Links
As a 1st time buyer, I’m assuming you will need a mortgage :?: Sounds like it may well be classed as non-standard construction to me, have your mortgage company actually agreed to advance you a loan on it :!:

I have the mortgage secured - I've even had an offer on the house accepted. It's the roofing that's giving me worries at the moment though

if your worried get a full structural survey or walk away
but keep in mind they are generally well looked after
usually offer good value for money because off the stigma off council esates

Council House :eek: built " mid 2000" You`re having a :LOL: - Stigma, smegma :mrgreen:

If you were changing from a felt pitched roof on a house to a tiles one would the wooden beams in the loft need to be replaced for the extra wieght?

I'd say a house with a roof is much better than one without.

Roofs don't "suddenly fail", but they do wear out. You may be looking at 20-25 years life for a pitched felt roof, but it depends on the materials,,quality of fit and location.

Don't be put off by a felt roof. Just allow for replacing if its nearing life end and adjust the offer price accordingly. Even if the seller says that the price has already been reduced, you can still ask for further reduction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back