Should I change the layout?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The lazy oik that installed the CH in the property I own has left a completely upside down installation due to the way the pipes were on the original Oil fired system.

The cold feed comes into the house, from the stopcock to the downstairs cold taps & toilet system, then up the corner of the toilet across the joists then down into the Combi boiler sited on the utility room wall.

The hot travels along the same course, feeding the upstairs supplies before coming DOWN the corner of the toilet to feed the downstairs.

The CH pipes go UP through the ceiling feeding the upstairs rads (4 of them) but also 'T's off DOWNSTAIRS through the ceiling to supply the downstairs.

Now part of this is due to the absence of a floor in the util room which I am going to address soon and then I will be able to run the pipes in a more conventional manner but my question is - Does it really matter?
It looks confusing but seems top work Ok for now.

Any thoughts anyone?

Sponsored Links
If it's fully pumped then the heating pipes will work fine. The hot water is another matter completely- typical lazy install, every time you run the kitchen tap you'll be waiting 2 minutes and wasting 10 litres of hot in the pipes. Redo for certain and get rid of the old 22mm hot pipe to the bath (replace with 15).

Thanks for that.

Very easy to do at this point. Will fit an outside CH drain cock instead of internal one too

I forgot about the 22mm. I meant to ask if there is a reason for 22 instead of 15 but u already answered.

The 22 to the bath is from the old vented dhw system- low pressure but lots of volume, fills the bath quick and gives a decent shower. With a combi it's just wasted water volume.

Sponsored Links
The 22 to the bath is from the old vented dhw system- low pressure but lots of volume, fills the bath quick and gives a decent shower. With a combi it's just wasted water volume.
Thanks.

Always wondered why but never bothered to ask :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back