Should i complain?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my room ceiling skimmed over because there were a few cracks in it, the guy plastered it and within one week the crack has appeared again, the ceiling was solid and was quite good condition, it only needed a light skim.
should i complain?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, i have just contacted him, he said the joists must be moving..., but he said he didnt put any tape over the original cracks, he said he will come back and re skim if i want it doing again, and put tape on this time,

He should have put the tape on first time round. It's not that the cracks are moving, it's the ceiling that's moving, and cracked, hence you scrim tape them to (try) and stop the crack redeveloping.

Sponsored Links
Doggit is right. Thing is, even if the cracks are scrimmed and ceiling reskimmed, no guarantee that will fix it.
If the cracks are straight, chances are plasterboard is moving and you will need some drywall screws screwing into joists to help fix things up first as well.

Or it might well be better to overboard with 9mm plasterboard, and make certain he doesn't need to come back again. Obviously he'll charge you for the overboarding part, but he shouldn't really charge for the skimming as this wasn't done properly in the first place. Discuss it with him.

Thanks for all the help guys, to be perfectly honest, the quality of work just isnt good enough as well, when i put the light fitment back up, it shows every little imperfection, there are lumps and bumps all over, it doesnt look too bad in the daylight, but at night when the light is on it looks terrible, and the crack is the icing on the cake
I have used this fella before and hes always done a good job, i think he was in a rush to get off, he has told me he will come and skim it over again, i shall have to see if he is good on his word

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back