Should I contact my DNO?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is the DNO supply to the common area of my building, under the stairs, it shows signs of having been on fire in the past and the neutral insulation looks crispy. There are a few drops of (pitch?) visible on the cutout itself and the cloth wrap looks shiny.

The question is, would you call the DNO out to make sure this is all old damage and nothing to worry about?

Sponsored Links
usual consensus is any signs of leaking pitch should be reported as an emergency repair required.

Yes contact the DNO and mention the fire damage.

The burn out block was the place where a PME earth would have been connected if the system was PME. There may be alternative means of earthing but to me that burning suggests that there was a PME earth wire that has burnt. This can be the result of a network fault.

Yes, report it and no later than tomorrow morning, you will need to ensure access is available.

Sponsored Links
I prodded the leaked pitch with a screwdriver and it is hard, but I will contact the DNO tomorrow, or tonight if the lines are open. Thanks.

Keep finding things wrong with the flat, what is the point of the home buyers survey if they don't notice things like this?

from

http://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/Electricity/AboutElectricity/DistributionCompanies/
he following information will help you contact the right organisation in the event of a power cut in your area:

Area Company
Emergency No. General Enquiries No
North Scotland Scottish & Southern Energy
0800 300 999 0845 071 3954
South Scotland Scottish Power
0845 272 7999 0845 273 4444
North East England Northern Powergrid
0800 668 877 0845 070 7172
North West Electricity North West Ltd
0800 195 4141 0800 048 1820
Yorkshire Northern Powergrid
0800 375 675 0845 602 4453

Gave SSE a call and they sent two lads out to take a look, it is indeed old damage and nothing to worry about.

Very impressive service!

Keep finding things wrong with the flat, what is the point of the home buyers survey if they don't notice things like this?
It makes the mortgage lender happy ?
My limited experience of Home Buyer Reports is that they are mostly standard paragraphs cut-n-pasted - and one of them is a standard get out of "an electrical inspection is recommended".

Gave SSE a call and they sent two lads out to take a look, it is indeed old damage and nothing to worry about.

Very impressive service!

I'd still of given it a birthday if i'd come and looked at it but thats just me :cool:

Yeah, I wouldn't leave something with visible fire damage in service even if it wasn't affecting anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back