I damaged 9.5kw electric cable that feeds my shower

a properly crimped
What odds are you offering on the OP having a proper crimping tool?

and even soldered joint
With the mechanical strength provided how?

There is a screwed connection at the isolator on a shower cable anyway!!
Indeed.

And it's not at all unknown for them to go wrong, i.e. they are risky.

Why advise the unnecessary introduction of a risky joint?

I wasn't thinking the OP would have the tools to crimp or solder a 10mm cable, but was saying that an electrician could possibly do this. Everyone before hand was saying that he HAD to have a complete new cable installed. I am saying that yes in an ideal world that would be best, but it isnt an ideal world is it? And there is another option.

Sponsored Links
If you drilled the cable fitting the shower then is the damage close to the end of the cable anyway, you might get away with the crimp within the shower unit somehow, or maybe move the shower to suit the length of undamaged cable

Sponsored Links
I dont know why everyone is saying to re new the whole cable, a properly crimped and even soldered joint would be ok. There is a screwed connection at the isolator on a shower cable anyway!! :confused:

Replacing that whole length of cable has to be the preferred and superior best option. I would then expect the op to say how possible this is, and if it's near impossible then would look at ways to maybe repair the cable.

No.

Nor because you never are (IHNI about that).

But simply because you are wrong - jointing the cable should be avoided if at all possible, soldering is a dreadful idea, and screwed joints do fail.

jointing the cable should be avoided if at all possible, soldering is a dreadful idea, and screwed joints do fail.
And so do some crimped joints. Even if made by a qualified and experienced electrician using the right tools there is still a risk of failure.

Either way the biggest arse in changing the cable back to the isolater (assuming it has one) will be the tiling and short of having a join behind the tiling in the shower area your not going to get around that.

Unless as said, you move the shower unit down to meet the undamage section if its is that close.

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back