Damaged electrical cables

Yeah, I'm leaning towards a safe repair for my own peace of mind. Any other suggestions to the MF JB approach?
Can I suggest before proceeding with junction boxes that you turn the power of and investigate whether the cores are damaged. I think I see a shadow of black and red on the left cable but as has already been mentioned it doesn't look as if the damage is much more than superficial from this distance.
If the inner insulation is not damaged a repair with heatshrink may be all it requires.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Yeah, I'm leaning towards a safe repair for my own peace of mind. Any other suggestions to the MF JB approach?
Can I suggest before proceeding with junction boxes that you turn the power of and investigate whether the cores are damaged. I think I see a shadow of black and red on the left cable but as has already been mentioned it doesn't look as if the damage is much more than superficial from this distance.
If the inner insulation is not damaged a repair with heatshrink may be all it requires.

Can I suggest before proceeding with junction boxes .... If the inner insulation is not damaged a repair with heatshrink may be all it requires.
I think there's probably a bit of a flaw in that idea - since the only way to get heatshrink on would be to cut the cables, in which case one would need at least one (probably two) JBs to restore each of the cables!

If there were enough slack (which I doubt) and/or one did some excavation, it might just be possible to get some, say, self-amalgamating tape around the cables (hence without having to cut them), but I wouldn't put much money on that being a particularly viable approach.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thank you all.

I'm now thinking of using an Ashley JB04 in the ceiling void.

I think there's probably a bit of a flaw in that idea - since the only way to get heatshrink on would be to cut the cables, in which case one would need at least one (probably two) JBs to restore each of the cables!

If there were enough slack (which I doubt) and/or one did some excavation, it might just be possible to get some, say, self-amalgamating tape around the cables (hence without having to cut them), but I wouldn't put much money on that being a particularly viable approach.

Kind Regards, John
I assumed from this
I've discovered two cables that supply power to a power socket
that the cables could be disconnected from the socket, sleeving slipped over and re-terminated.

Thank you all. I'm now thinking of using an Ashley JB04 in the ceiling void.
Do I take it that you would be able to run new cables all the way down to the socket from the ceiling void?

Given that there are two damaged cables, you would presumably need two JBs in the ceiling void (Ashley JB803s would be adequate, you wouldn't need JB204s).

However, the existence of those two cables suggests that the socket supplied is 'on the ring', in which case another approach would be to join the two cables in a JB in the ceiling void and run a single cable from that JB as an 'unfused spur' to the socket - so only one cable going down the wall - and one JB803 could do that.

Kind Regards, John

I assumed from this .... that the cables could be disconnected from the socket, sleeving slipped over and re-terminated.
Possibly. I was thinking that at least some of the cable between damage and sockets might well be 'buried'.

Kind Regards, John

If not, then four junction boxes will be required to repair and maintain the ring.

Please find out if the cores are damaged.

It would be really stupid to cut them if they are not.

upload_2022-5-15_20-56-42.png

If not, then four junction boxes will be required to repair and maintain the ring.

Please find out if the cores are damaged.

It would be really stupid to cut them if they are not.

Thank you. How would I test if the cores are damaged?

Dig the cables out and visually inspect them first.
Take good quality close up pics an post them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back