I damaged 9.5kw electric cable that feeds my shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the power was off and isolated when i drilled through the cable supplying power to my 9.5kw shower. I think I damaged the black cable within the larger grey covered cable - but I couldn't see properly because the grey cable was covering the damaged area. I wrapped some insulation tape around the damaged area and reconnected. The shower works - but I am worried that the damaged area may get hot and perhaps start a fire in the future? Is this a valid concern? Would it be better to turn all of the power off again, disconnect the shower to get at the supply cable. Then cut this cable at the damaged area, cut out any damaged bit, and then reconnect using cable connectors? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'd recommend replacing the whole length of cable, how long and difficult is it to replace?
What sort of connectors are you thinking of using? Are they to remain accessible and in an enclosure?

Hi Spark123 - blimey that was a quick response thanks!
I was trying to fit a replacement new shower - the old one was not heating the water properly. The cable I drilled through presumably leads all the way behind the tiles and plaster in the bathroom, then through conduit to the fusebox where the electricity meter is...

If you have damaged the copper and reduced the csa then a hotspot will be created when the current is flowing through the cable. This will be a fire hazard and so the cable needs replacing. Any joint would have to be done to a very high standard by a competant person and is not really worth it in the long run.

Sponsored Links
I was thinking of using plastic connectors - teh ones with a screw either side to clamp the red, black and earth wires either side? This would then be pushed back into the cavity behind the shower?

****e ! ...so you recommend effectively re-wiring that whole cable run - from shower to fusebox? That sounds expensive...

s***te ! ...so you recommend effectively re-wiring that whole cable run - from shower to fusebox? That sounds expensive...
But cheaper than repairing fire damage, even if it only a small fire that only damages the cable you will have to then replace the cable.

Connections on a shower cable are NOT a good idea. Even where there is no alternative to screwed connections as in the switch there is a high number of cincidents where a connection fails leading to over heated switches and wires with scorched or burnt insulation.

EDIT

Just realised you wrote
from shower to fusebox?
Is it a run from shower to fusebox without an isolator switch in or near to the room where the shower is. If there is no isolator switch then one needs to be fitted. That would be one way to avoid replacing the whole run using the isolator as the junction. It would have to be properly installed and using an electrician is your best option as you were not aware of the requirement that junction boxes with screw terminals must be accessible. There are probably several other safety critical and important things you are un-aware of.

s***te ! ...so you recommend effectively re-wiring that whole cable run - from shower to fusebox? That sounds expensive...

From shower to isolator switch. This would be a pull switch on the ceiling, or a wall mounted switch, usually outside the bathroom or in a cupboard.

OK - thanks all - I'll get a quote for this work ! (just what I didn't need right after Christmas!) Thanks though !

I dont know why everyone is saying to re new the whole cable, a properly crimped and even soldered joint would be ok. There is a screwed connection at the isolator on a shower cable anyway!! :confused:

Thanks flyingsparks, i guess i need an electrician to have a look anyway - something i was hoping to avoid... Only 'cus of the cost...

a properly crimped
What odds are you offering on the OP having a proper crimping tool?

and even soldered joint
With the mechanical strength provided how?

There is a screwed connection at the isolator on a shower cable anyway!!
Indeed.

And it's not at all unknown for them to go wrong, i.e. they are risky.

Why advise the unnecessary introduction of a risky joint?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back