Should I do the 2392?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to all. This is my first post and hoping someone can give for some advice. I am not currently working in the industry but looking to gain as many quals as possible to make myself more employable. (I am 40 and leaving the forces next August) . I have some practical experience and I've done the 2330 level 2 and 3 and the 17th edition wiring regs 2382. I have also taken the 2391 theory, in which I think I did ok. That said I did the practical today passing the first 3 assessments but not the periodic inspection. Due to my lack of practical experience. I understand all the theory and single phase stuff and to an extent the 3 phase, but obviously not well enough. Would the more experienced amongst you recommend I do the lesser 2392? Even if I have passed the 2391 theory. The only other alternative that I can think of is that I hopefully get a job and re-take the practical once i have gained the necessary practical ability. I would be grateful for any advice.

Sponsored Links
It is your shout - really speaking the 2391 is more for people already in the trade carrying out inspection, testing and certification of electrical installations. Unless you have the practical experience then you will struggle with it. 2392 iirc is a watered down version for single phase installations.
What did the periodic inspection entail? Is it no longer the dead boards with things like missing earth sleeves, incorrect polarities, no RCD, uncontiunuous main protective bonding conductors, missing grommets, top of CU not to IP4X, too much copper showing, cables on their sides sharing cable clip (stressed), no fuse board schedule, no sleeving on lighting circuit sw live conductors to name a few.

Cheers for you reply. There are 4 assessments on the practical. I was told I had passed the first 3. The first is as you say spotting mistakes like no IP4X protection and no sleeving on the cpc etc. The next is an insulation resistance test done twice with different faults. Then an earth fault loop impedance test with theoretical protective devices. However the last and longest test involves a periodic inspection of a 3 phase and single phase system. I would be fine on single phase but made a hash of the 3 phase isolation. I tested above an open switch instead of where the supply came in. (biff!) I do understand my mistake and the tests involved in the isolation of 3 phase. Thing is I'd never been shown this process in detail practically and I have very limited experience with 3 phase. So I would struggle when doing IR on the motor and where to take Ze on the 3 phase. I just wondered if because of this it might be worth me doing the 2392 first. I suppose I'm just trying to cover as many bases as possible before I leave the forces. After 23 years it's a big step heh heh.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back