Should I get a new CU?

I've just had a look at the switchfuse. It does indeed isolate the loft CU and nothing else.

However, the switchfuse only has a 30A fuse in it, and the loft CU has two MCBs rated at 32A and 16A, so why the fuse hasn't blown yet I do not know, unless it has the incorrect fuse wire in. The fuse cartridge in it is a Memera one, identical to the 30A fuse in the main fuse box for the ring main.

Am I best replacing the fuse wire with 30A fuse wire just in case?

Sponsored Links
Am I best replacing the fuse wire with 30A fuse wire just in case?

NO!

The fuse is there to protect the cable going up into the loft. It can only be changed if the cable is able to take the extra current and the EFLI is up to it.

In any case a 30amp cartridge fuse will sit there for several hours and will let 40amps pass though it.

As has been said before, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I do have a question, for curiosity. The shower. What is the rating of that. It can't be very big if it's running off a 32amp CPD.

I thought that the breaker was a bit too low myself, 32A is around 7.5kW isn't it?

But the shower is a 8.5kW unit. It had a fault about a year ago, and it hasn't been used since.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back