Meter tail query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If a fusebox with existing supply tails of 16mm T&E is replaced with a split load CU, do the tails have to be upgraded if the main fuse is 60A ?

The supply for another fusebox supplying the storage heaters is fed via 10mm T&E. (there are 4 heaters, each fed via a 15A fuse)

The length of both existing supply tails is about 6M.

Sponsored Links
So, inbetween the cutout fuse & the 6m tails, is there a switchfuse?

Sponsored Links
So, inbetween the cutout fuse & the 6m tails, is there a switchfuse?

I know there needs to be a switch fuse, the question was, do the tails have to be replaced, i.e. is there a regulation to state meter tails have to be 25mm ?

Tails are sized to your load.

If yous small submain is 16mm and 60amp, the subamin and tails can be 16mm.

Similarly for the storage submain - determine the load, if the 10mm can handle this, feed it from a 45amp fuse etc, and use 16mm tails.

People do get shocked for no reason by tails over a certain length - I wish they would realise that this forum is nationwide (actually, worldwide), and that the DNO's across the regions have different rules and regulations. Many do stipulate a maximum length, while others do not.

When we ask our DNO (WPD) what there max length is, we simply get told that the tails are ours, and aslong as we install them to BS7671, they are happy to connect.

Apologies for sounding shocked, Lec, however, all the DNO's I've dealt with have had a max tail length (without fusing down) of 3m. Yes, as long as you fuse down, you can go as long as you like.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back