should i have used something else

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, i have finished tiling my bathroom and i used unibond silicone the anti mould one, the one that gives 35year guarantee. i used it everywhere in the bathroom where sealing was concerned. but the area in question is where the tiles meet the sealing. i used tape on the painted ceiling and then siliconed and when i removed the tape it pulled some paint of in various areas. i have touched them up now however there are a few areas the the paint wudnt stick to. have i used the wrong sealant should i have used an caulk instead? so i could have painted over? or is the silicone the right option in the bathroom. i am just thinking because if i ever wanted to change the colour of the skirts or ceiling (i used silicone to seal the vinyl to the skirts and the tiles to the ceiling where it meets) im going to strugle.

Sponsored Links
Emulsion (water) based paint will not stick to Silicone, as you’ve discovered. Use silicone for sealing gaps between the bath/shower tray, tiles, down the corners of a tiled shower cubicle or between wall & floor tiles; never use silicone where you need to paint, use a flexible caulk.

It's not a good idea to use tape of any sort on emulsion painted surfaces; any hint of poor adhesion & it will peel the paint off when you remove the tape.

thanks richard. i was thinking of using caulk however i wasnt to sure if it would be ok with the amount of moisture and steam in the bathroom. so is caulk ok for the bathroom environment?

Sponsored Links
yes, although not in wet area's which will be silicone on tiles and you won't be painting anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back