Silicone on painted ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there, can I please have some advice.
I have a tiled bathroom to the ceiling all around. The ceiling is plasterboard, skimmed and painted. I have siliconed all around where the tiles and the ceiling meets. I have painted the ceiling before the tiles went up (might have been where it went wrong). Long story short, after about a year the silicone had come off from the ceiling dragging the paint with it I cn only assume it's because the silicone is contracting/shrinking and the weakest link is the paint on the skimmed ceiling. It is mainly above the bathtub so steam might have something to do with it. Please see photos.
Question 1: is there an easy fix? i.e. I don't have to take off all the silicone but put a bit more underneath where it had come off?
Question 2: knowing my luck there is no easy fix, so I will have to rip all the silicone around the ceiling then redo the whole thing. In this case what can I do to avoid this happening again? Scraping off the paint around the edges then silicone then repaint?

Any advice is much appreciated!
IMG_20161006_122820.jpg
IMG_20161006_122848.jpg
IMG_20161006_122859.jpg

Sponsored Links
Question 1: No. You would just be adding more weight to the paint and then gravity will hit you like a strip of double silicone in a bathtub. (Sorry, my humour is terrible!)

Question 2: I would strip off the old silicone and the paint underneath. Then repair with either high quality Dow Corning or BAL MM2 Silicone (my personal preference). Both of which are highly available as DC make tons of the stuff everyday and BAL is in near enough any decent tile shop. I paid about £12 for mine from Topps to repair a leaky bathroom and it was good as gold.

Quick note as well, paint and skim actually reduce the load bearing weight of plasterboard to about 20kg/M2 (and paint somewhat more allegedly) so I should imagine that the silicone has just pulled the paint away from the plasterboard. Shouldn't be too much of a massive job but just a massive PITA considering it's above the bath.

Thanks a lot for the reply. Just what I feared. It's not a massive job I just hate to do the same job twice. I'll try to buy one of the two recommended sealants.

Sponsored Links
Great, thanks for the link now I know exactly what I'm looking for. Interestingly in the description it says it is suitable for painted surfaces. I might have to blame the paint for my misfortune. Anyway I won't risk is I'll sand back the paint around the edges before sealing it again. Thank you for your help once again it's been really helpful.

Your welcome buddy :) and whilst it does say suitable for painted surfaces, I think it's more in reference to walls. The gravity pulling on the paint may of been the cause.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back