Should I leave expn gaps betwen plywood under floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen floor is suspended but quite firm. It previously had quarry tiles laid on the old 1950s lino and the grout never cracked. It is long and narrowish - 19ft by 8ft 6in. I am going to try to get away with 9mm ply, screwed at 10" centres, as I don't want the finished floor to be a lot higher than the hallway. Do I need to leave expansion gaps between the 8x4 sheets of ply or can I butt them?

Sponsored Links
Hi Roy,
Just butt one sheet to another or maybe 1ml.gap between.As long as you use a WBP plywood,and stagger the joints it will be ok.If it was me,I would screw it down at 6" centres to give you a better surface for tiling.Use a flexible tile adhesive,the powder type, and powder type flexi grout,and mix it to the manufacturers instructions.Don't mix to much at a time,keep the bucket and tools clean each mix,and good luck.

Roughcaster.

Hi ,
The flexible tile adhesive and grout you need is for "TIMBER FLOORS"

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back