small gap in between plywood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Because my room is not completely square, I have had to cut a long triangular shaped bit of plywood to fit in between 2 large sheets of plywood on the floor.
I could not get an exact fit so there is a 10mm gap at one end of the ply.
I think the tile will be supported by the ply anyway but is this okay or should I fill up the gap with adhesive? That part would then have adhesive on the floorboards...

ply.JPG

Sponsored Links
What's the width at the other end? It looks like you have effectively created a plank with ply - that's not a good idea.

that was my crap diagram.
Actually at the other end, the 2 large pieces of ply touch.
Then I have this triangular shaped bit of ply in the middle.

If I didn't put the triangle in the middle, then it would have been on the left or right hand end to cover the area where I need to put tiles down.

ply2.JPG

The red is the small gap where you can see the floorboards underneath.
All ply is still level with each other.
The largest gap is 10mm at the pointy end.

A tile would fit here:
ply3.JPG

Sponsored Links
The whole point of overboarding with ply is that it spreads the load out evenly over the floor. What you've effectively done is fit another small floorboard over the top of existing floorboards. This wouldn't have been an issue if you'd left the small piece for one of the edges of the room.
Your problem is not really at the end with the gap, it's the other end where you might come unstuck (pun intended).

The floorboards run left to right.
The plywood boards run top to bottom. So, essentially criss crossed.
Won't that spread the load enough?

It might well do. But for the record this is possibly the daftest bit of overboarding I've come across - can I have an actual photo please? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back