Should I paint the back of the panel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am putting reed an bead panels up in the bathroom, should I prime the back of the panel that is going to be stuck to the wall or will this affect the adhesion? The panels are to go around the bath so need to be completely watertight. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Its a bit debatable, technically it could cause adhesion problems but i believe its correct practice to prime both sides, although i'm sure i must have painted loads of timber only ever primed on the facing side and had no problems.

usually, painting the backs of panels helps prevent them warping by making both faces equally (non) absorbent.

In a bathroom it is going pretty humid at times, so it may help.

Don't now how it will afect your adhesive, I suppose do the backs first and be sure the paint is fully dry. If it is a waterproof material it might not matter - is there a maker's label?

Sponsored Links
Thanks to both who have the replied, the panels are made of moisture resistant MDF so I'm thinking they probably should be painted on both sides and will go ahead and do this - unless someone out there thinks its a bad idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back