Should I remove skirting, coving & picture rail?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im in the process of stripping off all the old plaster back to bare brick, but for now I've left the skirting, picture rail & plaster coving in place as they may be original 1930's features and id probably damage them during removal. So would a plasterer be happy to replaster my walls with these features in place, or should I remove them completely, and loose the coving altogether?

IMG_8131_zpsrz7navkm.jpg

IMG_8132_zpsz3rton2j.jpg

IMG_8133_zpsnkhuyuao.jpg

IMG_8134_zpsnb8dlvd6.jpg

Sponsored Links
Keep. Don't know why you've pulled all the old lime plaster off though. You'll find 'hollow' sounding plaster in every old house. Never seen it fall off yet.

clive12345,

Dont talk rubbish. "double the price or more" - "very time consuming"? Its a perfectly ordinary job. The "features" - skirting, rail & cove are useful datums to an experienced plasterer who can prep, scratch, float & skim.

Lead Farmer,

Yes, a plasterer would be happy to do the job as is.

Carefully clean all the edges of the woodwork and the cove - use a utility knife.
You could remove the rad brackets but leave the screws in the plugs. No need to remove anything else.
You could take out the suction from that dry background by applying one or two coats of 5:1 water : PVA - the plasterer will later PVA a tacky coat on top.
Isolate elec before PVA'ing.
Wipe off any PVA on woodwork.

Ree - ":" followed by "P" makes an icon like this :p
************* Mod

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
I am comparing plastering a clear flat wall ,against one with numerous
useful datums
All these "datums " will need to be margined when floating , and cleaned off numerous times when skimming.
I really cannot see why you would think they are useful .

Thanks for the replies. Before I continue devoting time to getting nice clean lines I'm going to get a plasterer round to have a look, if he wants the features removed then I shall continue.

If I have to remove the coving, is it still possible to buy similar sized plaster coving as opposed to polystyrene?

LeadFarmer,

Why have you even come on here? "Before i continue devoting time .. etc" You are worried about wasting time? What, precisely, do you intend to "continue"?

Do you have any idea how long it would take you to replace the "features" or what costs might be involved? Why not remove the door lining, and the elec cable & accessories while you are at it?

Is your object to create work and spend money? You've already removed the lime plaster on some kind of possible whim.

Building professionals are taught sharp lessons by their apprentice bosses: "You are here to do work not make it".

clive12345,

"will need to be margined" - no they wont. Not if your idea of a margin and mine are the same. I'm not going to rehearse telling you how to plaster a wall but thats what we do, we plaster by going at it, and dont fool around.

I can assure you that i dont waste time by: "cleaning off numerous times" when floating or skimming - what are you? What building trade experience do you have? Your notions on simple plastering seem pretty odd.

The plaster was falling off anyway where chunks were missing. I pulled the plaster off the worst wall and it came away in my hands in big pieces. It then just started coming away from all the walls. Decided to remove it all and it was all done in minutes.

I was simply wondering if a plasterer would want me to remove the coving, skirting & picture rail with the risk of me damaging them (possibly original features) or whether I could just leave them in place.

I think the features are not all that bog standard , so I would get rid but if Its to stay cut a bit of bullnose skirting to fit gap between coving and rail to use as a straight edge get 2 nails or 2 screws set the skirting so its in line with the old render that's underneath then put the nail or screws into the ends so that they rest on the coving and rail you can now run this all the way along the wall using the coving and rail as a guide just like you would when you run a horse and stock

Lead,
Done this a a few times now.

My recommendation would be leave skirting on wall (tends to split when removed, and a nightmare to put back and you have great skirting), leave coving (as relatively expensive to buy and can be time consuming to replace, and you don't want to loose the orginal) but carefully remove and keep wood Picture Rail (and the radiator hangers). Then plasterer has his large span to plaster making his job easier/cheaper. Also when you put the Picture Rail back up will then be on top of the plaster and so look more defined.

Issues that I have had are 1) getting the plasterer to plaster the extra thickness needed to match the old Lime plaster that you have removed, 2) there cn be a slight wobble of teh plaster along the edge of the coving and skirting (but that cannot be helped as normally that is hidden behind the coving and skirting, 3) it is often said that cement plaster does not breath like the Lime Plaster did, but so far I have not had any issues (fingers crossed) with this.

If you do loose the Coving, I have got good coving from here, http://www.cornicescentre.co.uk/covings/cornice/t/1 but it is long drive as they do not deliver.

SFK

Thanks SFK

Im arranging a plasterer to visit to see what he says, but I expect you are correct in that I will need to remove the picture rail, shouldn't be difficult as its now suspended away from the walls with the plaster behind removed, and with only a few nails holding it in place. Ive no idea if the coving and picture rail are original features, but I'm guessing they are.

Lead,
My pleasure and best wishes.
One thing to add..... wall sockets. Do you have enough? and if not get some in now before plastering.
SFK

Im adding a couple more wall sockets, but getting a sparky to do it. Im also running ethernet cable with a few of sockets around the room for smart TV/PS4/Sky etc. Im also going to run some spare lengths of cable under the floorboards so if I need to run additional cables I can pull them through.

Glad to hear it about cables. It looks as if I am only slightly ahead of you plastering just done as I have just this moment returned from buying Ethernet plates sockets to go in wall (spot the empty hole). Much to my upset I did not manage to save my skirting so fitting new (ugh) skirting is next job.
SFK
Image00001.jpg

Attachments

• Wall Scoket.jpg
    Wall Scoket.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back