Should I replace my Copper Hot water cylinder - it's 30 years old

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Simple question really But would appreciate advice please.
There is nothing wrong with the cylinder as far as I can tell; It's just 30 years old.
We live in a hard water area and I imagine it's got lots of lime scale in it

Sponsored Links
Simple question really But would appreciate advice please.
There is nothing wrong with the cylinder as far as I can tell; It's just 30 years old.
We live in a hard water area and I imagine it's got lots of lime scale in it

Is it causing any problems, like slow to heat up? How do you heat it, immersion or via gas boiler?

Is it causing any problems, like slow to heat up? How do you heat it, immersion or via gas boiler?
No I don't think so! Nothing we've noticed anyway. Its heated with an oil boiler sometimes but mostly an immersion heater using solar power

Sponsored Links
A 30 year old cylinder is likely to have an inefficient calorifier (the coil of pipe that transfers heater boiler water to your domestic stored hot water).
Being an oil boiler and unable to modulate I suspect the burner constantly cycles (especially as the cylinder comes up to temperature) wasting energy.
At the other extreme the "tank in tank" cyclinders can be fed with significant kw and rapidly heat up with little cycling (if any).

Also, if you buy a new one, as well as being faster to heat and better insulated, people now typically buy bigger ones. This will enable you to get more benefit from your solar. It might hold enough for a couple of baths or several showers.

You might like to invest in a water softener as well.

A 30 year old cylinder is likely to have an inefficient calorifier (the coil of pipe that transfers heater boiler water to your domestic stored hot water).
Being an oil boiler and unable to modulate I suspect the burner constantly cycles (especially as the cylinder comes up to temperature) wasting energy.
At the other extreme the "tank in tank" cyclinders can be fed with significant kw and rapidly heat up with little cycling (if any).
Thanks What's a tank in Tank cylinder?

If you do, take the old one to a scrap yard, coppers worth bob or two...

Google ACV cylinders...the DHW cylinder is surrounded by another cylinder and the whole water jacket is heated by the boiler.

Thanks Have had a Look. I'll have o check some measurements it looks like it's going to be too big

There are many options unvented (if you've sufficient pressure/flowrate), vented etc, even a custom manufactured cylinder, it's whether you can justify the expense against increased boiler wear and inefficiency.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back