should I replace my old fuse box?? fitting new kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In process of gutting my kitchen and wil be moving afew sockets etc, going to have a integrated fridge, dishwasher and washing machine, but still have a old fuse box with old fashioned fuses with the wire, dont have any probs with it though. But think it could be a good time to upgrade to new consumer unit? Is it best to have appliances run from the new cu or do you just spur of the ring for the sockets

Sponsored Links
Any newly installed cable, buried less than 50mm within walls and not mechanically, will require 30mA RCD protection. As will any new socket outlets, so I would consider installing a new consumer unit with this additional protection, if your installation does not provide 30mA RCD protection.
I would install new circuits to kitchen, it is best to split the load and divide the circuits up, rather than overload an existing circuit.
I tend to if possible have power circuits for:
*under work top appliance
*above worktop appliances
*cooking appliances
*and fridge/freezer on own dedicated RCBO protected circuit or free from RCD protection if possible.

In process of gutting my kitchen and wil be moving afew sockets etc, going to have a integrated fridge, dishwasher and washing machine, but still have a old fuse box with old fashioned fuses with the wire, dont have any probs with it though.
You're aware of the de-rating factor needed to be applied when using rewirable fuses?

But think it could be a good time to upgrade to new consumer unit?
For the reasons given by PBoD, that would be the most sensible approach. You'll need an electrician.

Is it best to have appliances run from the new cu or do you just spur of the ring for the sockets
If you have a new CU, all your circuits will be on it. Designing in spurs from ring finals from the outset is not a good plan.

Also, replacing a consumer unit is notifiable work. So you'll need to set up the process with the local authority and pay their fee. Before work starts.

They will want to inspect the work and check that you have done evrything in accordance with BS7671 including detailed testing.
Most people do not have the competency or the calibrated test equipment needed to do this to the satisfaction of the local authority.

Most use a registered electrician. Search www.electricsaferegister.co.uk for one in your area.

Sponsored Links
There are a number of ways to approach the work and much will depend on the condition of existing wiring.

Because the wiring in my parents house was not very good plus wanted to have any RCD protected circuits installed in a way so my wheel chair bound mother could reset any trips should they open. A sub-consumer unit was fitted which only supplied the kitchen.

So step one is to assess the condition of existing wiring. Only after that can one decide on the next step.

As to new consumer units and Part P this has been discussed on here at length and although changing the original fuse box for a consumer unit is notifiable adding a second one in the kitchen is not so cut and dried.

However what Part P clearly does say is wiring must be completed as lied out in BS7671 or similar publication to ensure a safe installation and to do that means using test equipment which is not normally owned by DIY people. The MCB works very different to the fuse and to ensure correct operation in the case of a fault we need to measure or calculate the loop impedance.

There are some cheap (£50) plug in testers but these only give a go/no go reading so will not tell you if after an alteration it will comply before starting but only after completing if it complies which is a little late.

So some where one is likely to either be forming new circuits or installing a consumer unit so likely best way would be to use a scheme member electrician so avoiding buying or hiring your own expensive equipment and paying the LABC their huge fees.

In my mothers house where council is involved with her disability I employ a scheme member to do work even though I have all the test equipment as cheaper than paying LABC fees.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back