New Kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I will shortly be installing a new kitchen which will consist of the existing kitchen and dining room.

At present there is one socket with the cooker isolator and one double socket on the partition wall which is to come down, Oh and one socket underneath an old metal waste pipe which has been hacked off and leaks! (for the washing machine)

I intend to install new lighting, both ceiling, under unit and floor and also lighting to the garden and also power sockets and spurs for dishwasher, fridge / freezer, washing machine etc.

Currently there is an old fuse board with just one ring for up and one for down.

I'm contemplating taking the ceiling down in the old kitchen and dining room to get a better finish where we are taking out walls and cupboards.

SO, would you advice installing a dedicated ring for the kitchen whilst the ceiling is down?

Also, is it good practice to install a ring for appliances and also one for sockets?

One other thing, I've been told conflicting things about intergrated appliances. One person told me that all you need is a socket? but I was under the impression that the socket should be taken from an accessable fused spur.

Sponsored Links
As you are probably aware this work is notifiable under part p of the building regs.
It is a good idea to have the kitchen on its own ring (or 32A radial)
Integrated appliances need to have an accessible point of isolation.
You'll probably also need to factor in getting a new consumer unit.

you will need...

1. RCD protection on the sockets at least and most likely on the rest of the circuits too unless you intend to install it in metal conduit or use suitable shielded cables.
2. A ring or radial for the sockets in the kitchen.
3. If you intend to have a lot of appliances such as dishwasher, washing mashine, tumble dryer etc then it might be a good idea to put in a seperate radial for these ( either one each if you have room in the CU or one for all of them ).
4. A new cooker circuit ( might as well while you're running all the rest new, use 10mm cable for future proofing.. who knows whether you will end up installing a 6 ring induction hob AGA type thing.. )

some say that isolators are not needed for appliances, I'm not one of them, I always recomend them. after all, if your washing macine drops a ballancing weight do you really want to be trying to pull it out while it's spinning and trying to break the cupboards next to it appart?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back