Should I replace old radiators with smaller one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of switching an old 1400 for a 900. There's plenty of BTUs but my question is this.
If I put a smaller one in, will that over time become less efficient and then be pretty much useless in the future, or because it's a new design and more efficient than old ones it'll be fine for the lifetime of the radiator?

If that makes sense?

Sponsored Links
I'm not talking about sizing the radiators. They will be the right size to start with, but what I'm saying is as the years go by will my radiator become less efficient and need replacing earlier than if I put a radiator in that was oversized for the size of room?

Basically I don't want to put a smaller radiator in now which is perfect for a brand new radiator but as the years go on, wish I'd put in a bigger one cos of the build up of sludge or whatever lowering the hear output over time.

will my radiator become less efficient

No, unless something isn't working properly. I wouldn't oversize it just because you might get sludge in it at a future date. Cleaning the sludge out (if it happens) would be a better option.

Sponsored Links
Smaller radiators run at a higher temperature cost more to heat with a condensing boiler than large radiators run cooler, but radiators themselves don't lose efficiency unless you've got muck in your system

Are there other reasons the efficiency could be reduced?

Your system could already be under preforming with regard to efficiency so cant comment on efficiency,best practice is to size the radiator's output to match the room requirements.

Plenty of free radiator size calculators on the internet,get 3 calculations and work out the average.
google,heatloss calculator cityplumbing
https://www.cityplumbing.co.uk/heatlossCalculator

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm saying is as the years go by will my radiator become less efficient and need replacing earlier?
Providing the system is serviced and cleaned every 3 years or when any alterations or additions are made and then inhibitors introduced.
The radiators will not loose efficiently, but you must size the radiators correctly. It is not the bigger the room the bigger the radiator, heat loss calculations are required, as they will vary room to room, even if the rooms are the same cubic size.

An over sized radiator makes for more efficient boiler operation on a condensing boiler.

So just why would you want to fit a smaller radiator?

I would always fit the same size rad as a replacement unless there were significant reasons not to.

Hopefully you are not concerned just with the cost of the rad?

When the lockshield and TRV are included the difference between 1400 mm and 900 mm rads would be very small.

If you really must downsize then at least fit a 1200 mm.

All that said on the assumption that you will be fitting finned rads to replace ones without fins.

Condensing boilers are designed for a max flow temp of 70 C whereas old boiler were made for a flow temperature of 80 C.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back