Should I / Should I not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm seeking advice from anybody willing to give it.

I've recently wired a single ring circuit from my RCD unit to a single socket in a spare bedroom. This has become my office and the ring was a suggestion by a friend's dad who is an electrician. I can now tap into this ring for more sockets if required later.

The next project is a big job! We are moving into the garden. Eventually I want to hook up two separate switched circuits from indoors to drive lights at the front and back of the house. Before this, we've ordered a hot tub (nice if you can afford it). The question is, do I give the wiring job a go or should I really seek professional help? Unfortunately my dad's mate has broken his ankle and isn't really up for it at the moment. I've got to get the wiring in place for the 10th Sept.

I understand that the feed has to be able to cope with 40amps and that it has to have an isolater. Wiring from the RCD to an isolator inside the house would be easily done as a single spur to it with standard 40amp indoor type of wire. From the isolator I then envisaged running armoured wiring out through the external wall under the decking and to the hot tub. Around 15m worth (the wire wont be buried as its under the decking, I do wonder if armoured wire is required at all?). The question is, should I really attempt this or is it too dangerous? I'm generally happy around electrics but am not an expert.

Sponsored Links
Read this excellent advice, plus do other searches here for hot tubs and spas.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=40086#40086

The cable outside absolutely must be SWA, properly terminated with outside glands. Suggest 3-core with the armour earthed as well.

Also, what installation services does the hot-tub supplier provide, and what has he said are your responsibilities vis-a-vis an electrical supply to connect to?

Have the full details at home (in London at moment). They basically want a prepared site with a 40amp connection ready to go. It must run to an isolator and wired into the RCD unit. I don't know anything about regs etc, just know how to plug these things in etc, so sounds as if I may struggle. No idea what SWA stands for..

Sponsored Links
speedco said:
Have the full details at home (in London at moment). They basically want a prepared site with a 40amp connection ready to go. It must run to an isolator and wired into the RCD unit. I don't know anything about regs etc,
Then you won't know if you've done it according to the regs....

just know how to plug these things in etc, so sounds as if I may struggle.
Within the amount of time you have left to research, learn, and install correctly, I think so too.

No idea what SWA stands for..
Steel Wire Armoured.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back