should i stagger my laminate flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a small amount of laminate flooring and underlay given to me, I have decided to put it on a small L shaped landing, the length of the flooring (parador), is actually longer than the width of the landing, so i only need one length to cover the width and then trim it down, should i still be looking to stagger the laminate by cutting the 2nd piece and thereby staggering it, its no problem, i just wondered should i bother....

Sponsored Links
If you want the effect you could, I have quite often been asked to have the alternate lines to match in in a brick wall plan. But if you have full length planks that cover the full length there is no nee to stagger the joints.

Yes I think your right Prentice, a little bit of research shows me that staggering joints actually supports the adjoining pieces and is therefore quite important, the only reason for me to stagger is (as you say) to get the aesthetic effect. So in my case, I don't have to stagger the joints, Thanks Prentice.

Personally I think it will look much better with staggered joints and if the hall is narrow keep the stagger equal either side so something like whole board, two thirds one third stagger left, whole board two thirds one third stagger right.

Sponsored Links
yep you are right chappers, it would look better staggered, but in this case it is not a hall, it is a very small landing, and secondly, the laminate and underlay was given to me, and is just a temporary measure to cover bare boards till i decorate the staircase, (neighbours was moaning underneath), so when i decorate the staircase which is 4 storeys, i will put a good carpet down with underlay... but you are quite right about the aesthetics.. and before anybody says it, I know laminate is noisy, but its better than whats down already.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back