Should I Upgrade To Free Explorer 8?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently use Windows I E, version 6.

Should I use the free link that appears on the main Hotmail page to upgrade to version8?

Is it worthwhile? Are there any pitfalls? Are these better systems from other companies?

Sponsored Links
Whether you change to another browser or not, you SHOULD still update the Internet Explorer to IE 8, because, even if you don't use it anymore (once you get Firefox) it is a very big security risk if it is not kept updated.

As it is a component part of Windows, it is still in use by your operating system even if you do not click to open it.

Once updated to IE8, run a quick scan with your anti-virus, and malwarwe scanners just incase something has got onto you PC whilst using the out-of-date IE6.

dave

Thanks for the replies. Will definitely upgrade to IE8 now, and Firefox.

Didn't realise it was a security issue. Jeez, you've got to think of everything!

Sponsored Links
Said it before - why not try the top browsers? - You can set one as default, but still use the others, I regularly flit twixt the 3 main players.

The following update / patch checker works well, I do not allow it to reside in memory - just run on a monthly basis...

Secunia PSI (Secunia Personal Software Inspector)

...Secunia is a Danish computer security service provider best known for tracking vulnerabilities in more than 12,400 pieces of software and operating systems...
...program provide extensive details on the software installed on your computer, it gives you direct links to update old and programs that are potentially not secure...

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/

-0-

I would have no hesitation in saying use IE8 its brilliant, been using it since it came out with no problems and its fast.

IE8 can in no way be called brilliant. I actually work as a web developer and version 8 is just as flawed as any of the previous releases. The amount of times exceptions have to be made for any of the Internet Explorer browsers is numerous and this release is no different.

IE8 is slow and clunky compared to almost all of the major Gecko or Webkit based browsers and is STILL not fully compliant, has very little support for recent CSS3 standards and I constantly run into issues with Javascript.

Frankly in my trade we would rather see the usage of any version of IE fall to zero as it can increase development time when exceptions have to be made for individual versions. The amount of times we've designed sites that render correctly in Firefox, Safari, Chrome, Opera etc. and then found to render incorrectly in IE, and in many cases render differently in different versions of IE.

In addition no IE version has support for multiple levels of transparency via inheritance or even transparency on the PNG format given that that is counted as inherited transparency due to the way IE renders them, something no other modern browser has a problem with. IE6's lack of PNG support still plagues us because people still refuse to switch to a more capable and standards compliant browser.

Even in short test periods we've had issues with the browser hanging on DNS requests or in some cases not actually sending a request. Trust me when I say you'd be better off with Firefox, Chrome, Safari or Opera.

I’ve had problems with lockouts & freezes for a couple of months now with MS advice to upgrade to IE8 but despite having tried several times, using serevral methods on many occasions, I can't even get the bloody thing to install; perhaps MS have a way of shafting my particular version of XP Pro ;) :cry:

So, no idea if it’s bloated or otherwise but I’m not overly bothered as I only seem to get probs at peak times.

can only speak as an end user but have tried firefox, chrome and had issues with them either freezing or running slow not had any problems with speed using IE8

Tim,
It's nice to see someone posting a good word for Internet Explorer, not that I am saying it is rubbish, but it is a bit like the service industry (pubs and restaurants). If someone has a bad experience they tell seven people without being asked but if they have a good experience they will only tell one person after being asked to recommend something.

Microsoft get the rough end of the stick all the time because they are making money hand over fist. Governments fine them millions because of some breach of a countries rules. But their products are for worldwide use and portable so even if they came up with 180 versions of Windows, one for each country, they cannot guarantee that it would not be onsale in a different country to which it was intended to be used.

But how many of us today would have a small computer at home if it wasn't for Bill Gates and his team?
Until they came on the scene with their software programs and demanded computer processors that would be cost effective, small and easily transported for domestic and small industry use, the computer builders were quite happy to have the processing done by something as big as a semi detached house.

I still use IE sometimes and find it quite good, but I must admit that my default browser is the latest version of Firefox, which is working fine, just like it's predecessors.

dave

you've really got to stop using that chrome browser secure :LOL:

as so far as IE8 is concerned it does all I want when browsing the net and at speed, doesnt complain, multiple windows open at the same time, yes there may be all different gadgets and gizmos offered with the other ones but i never had the need to use them.

I also found that roboform wouldn't work properly with some of the other browsers although i gather that has been fixed, I know where everything i need is to get to where i want as fast as i want and in the end all i need is speed and reliability, I dont do the things that others may do to warrant all the gizmos.

so all i can say is "R$%£&%^&^$&*%^**%$*$*^$£$^£"

Thats just to put a smile on secures face and not a problem with IE :D

The problem I have with IE8 has nothing to do with a lack of features compared to other browsers, it's that Microsoft constantly holds back cutting edge web development due to an outdated codebase or unimplemented features; CSS3 rounded corners, inherited PNG transparency, etc. All of which hold back developers, it takes years for Microsoft to implement these features by which time new specifications are published.

Not to mention the fact of non standards compliance, Microsoft is heavily to blame for the fact that websites render incorrectly in standards compliant browsers by introducing nonstandard HTML specifications. I think there are two solutions to this problem, either Microsoft start developing a browser that is standards compliant (they've already proven with 3 releases that they can't do this) or people start adopting a new browser.

The point of the matter is you shouldn't use IE8 for those reasons and not because the other browsers have additional features.

It has to be said that other major browsers ARE faster than IE8 in several areas, including startup and javascript execution times and have been proven to be on several benchmarks. There's also the benefit that Firefox for example is open source and benefits from community support and could be argued to be more secure because of that.

Sponsored Links
Back