should I worry about new upvc french doors squeaking.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
We have just had some replacement upvc french doors fitted 2-3 weeks ago and the main door has already started squeeking at the hinges, as we have not yet paid for the doors I am concerned that the squeaking may be indicative that the doors have not been correctly fitted and bigger problems could ensue.

Logic tells me that if they are squeaking then they are under undue pressure somewhere given that they are newly installed.

Hopefully I am worrying about nothing and someone will tell me that they all do that nowadays, but we had the previous doors in for 20 years, they never squeaked, we have other external upvc doors, they dont squeak either, should I be worried that these squeak already?

Due to their manufacturing the doors to the incorrect dimensions the first time, (almost had to walk through them sideways) this is the second manufacture/installation and the earlier doors squeaked also and when brought to their attention the installer said that he can fix it in a few seconds with a silicone spray which he can probably do with the new install but I am concerned that this may only mask the real issue for a few more weeks until the squeak returns and the hinges deteriorate.

We are being chased to pay for the install but I want to clarify the above before parting with my money as they showed no haste in resolving issues before they had been paid so hold no hope is seeing results afterwards.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
As long as they are fitted neatly and correctly, the squeaking is just probably due to the tight tolerances. After a few uses, the doors should ease up a little.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back