Squeaking hinges on new uPVC door, how to address?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
16494999358174743732754667171211.jpg

We had this door installed 6 months ago to replace an old one (click for larger image).

It's developed quite a nasty squeak, as far as I can tell on the middle hinge only.
16495000624415324081627099706722.jpg

I can see there's a little access cap on top so my first thought was simply to add a drop of light oil but this hasn't helped.

Is lubricating this sort of hinge advisable and if so what do I use and how do I access it?

Sponsored Links
Hinges are supposed to lubricated, try some silicone based grease.

Blup

Hinges are supposed to lubricated, try some silicone based grease.

Blup
Is this something I need a grease gun for into the top access, or should I be taking the cover off?

I would just take the cover off to get access and see what result you get.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Hi - I have the same hinges and the same squeak. Did you manage to sort it out?

Hi - I have the same hinges and the same squeak. Did you manage to sort it out?
I did try to access and lubricate but with limited success... it seemed to stop doing it over time however that may simply be the cooler weather, we'll see if it comes back in the summer! So, not much help I'm afraid :(

These are patriot plus hinges, take a close look at the round top caps with the Trojan helmet design and note there is a join in the cap, remove only the top and squirt some oil in there, fill it up and then work it in by opening and closing the door

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back