Should plumber add inhibitor when replacing rads? And do I need system flush

It's not that easy for the average Joe to add inhibitor to a sealed system. You'll need to depressurise the system, drain some fluid out, find a point to add the inhibitor (usually a towel rail or remove the plug from the top of the highest radiator in the system) and then refill and pressurise the system. Just say "Fine, I assume I will be only paying for the inhibitor as it should have been added last week when filling the system". It would have taken precisely NO extra time to do this when refilling a drained system.
Thanks yeah thats what I thought. He should have had inhibitor in the van, and as he didn't should be prepared to come back and top it up. Not just leave the system with no inhibitor in it and hope I don't say anything
As you say it would have taken no extra time. Ah frustrating, he's a nice guy as well, I'm dealing with his secretary. Maybe he would say something different!

I'll await their reply

Sponsored Links
We've used a lot of plumbers over the years for various CH-related jobs, and I would say most of them have done exactly this and not put inhibitor back in (or not least until we have told them to)- hence why we've churned through a lot of them and they don't get repeat business. Therefore standard practice in my experience apart from the odd one or two. Ridiculous as that is. Small additional cost isn't a problem- I (and assume most other people) just want a proper job to be done and when you are invariably paying hundreds anyway I have no issue if they advise an extra £15 is payable for a dose of inhibitor.

Ridiculous as that is. Small additional cost isn't a problem- I (and assume most other people) just want a proper job to be done and when you are invariably paying hundreds anyway I have no issue if they advise an extra £15 is payable for a dose of inhibitor.

It shouldn't really be payable as an optional extra, it should always be a standard part of the job, to ensure inhibitor is at a satisfactory level. Omitting it can be compared to a garage draining the cooling system on a car, then thinking it OK to just fill up with water, with no anti-freeze added.

It shouldn't really be payable as an optional extra, it should always be a standard part of the job, to ensure inhibitor is at a satisfactory level. Omitting it can be compared to a garage draining the cooling system on a car, then thinking it OK to just fill up with water, with no anti-freeze added.
I think I'd expect the quote to break it down but yes I completely agree with you that you shouldn't have to specify it as an extra.

Sponsored Links
Yeah all good points. The job cost nearly £500 as he was running some pipes through the stairs into a room without heating, so it was quite a big job. But yeah definitely doesn't feel like I should have to ask for him to put inhibitor in. I genuinely thought it was a silly question to ask because I assumed of course he would have! But turns out that wasn't the case

Yeah all good points. The job cost nearly £500 as he was running some pipes through the stairs into a room without heating, so it was quite a big job. But yeah definitely doesn't feel like I should have to ask for him to put inhibitor in. I genuinely thought it was a silly question to ask because I assumed of course he would have! But turns out that wasn't the case

Invite them to do the right thing and put it in free of cost, but pay for the inhibitor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back