Should screws pierce the wall plugs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am aware that different screw diameters require different plugs but how significant is the length of the screw? I am wondering if I had a 40mm plug and 70mm screw, can it pierce through the bottom of the plug into the depth that has been drilled to accommodate the screw? Is this good practice? Else, I need to have lots of different plug lengths to accommodate the different screws I may use.

Also, are Fischer duopower wall plugs a decent all round plug to use?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
It's fine to do that. A waste of a long screw, but the plug will still work fine. As far as plugs go, my favourite have always been thorsman/schneider TP2/B in red and brown, but each to their own.

I use Fischer sx, the duopower are gimmicky IMO, you can use two plugs in one hole to maximise grip, just snip the head off and cut to size.

Blup

The screw must protrude from the plug.
Fischer recommends at least 10mm, anything more won't make any difference.
Duo power imo are the best, they grip in all conditions and they also work great on plasterboard.

Sponsored Links
[QUOTE="johnny2007, post: 5193220, member: 181186"Duo power imo are the best, they grip in all conditions and they also work great on plasterboard.[/QUOTE]

That’s my experience too - having used a few different brands.

They are best short enough that the whole length of them have the full width of the screw inside them (with the pointy bit out the end). The best place for a felling wedge, for lifting purps is beaten all the way in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back