Multi-Purpose Screws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to keep a variety of size and length screws, rather than having to go out or order when I am doing a job. I am only a DIY'er and don't use that many to warrant 100/200 boxes. To this end I found a site "CheapScrews" that can supply me with say 4/4.5/5 in 40/50/70mm in small volumes of 50. They alsosupply Fischer Duo Plugs in small quantities too. They mainly sell Timco screws but after reading that certain screws can tear raw plugs, I need some advice as to whether I can keep screws that will double up as wood-wood and say hanging a cabinet to masonry. Rather than a selection of screws dedicated to certain functions. Can you please advise.

Sponsored Links
I would buy screws as and when you need them, otherwise you might end up with boxes of screws that never get touched. I've got at least a couple of boxes which I've never even opened. As you do more projects it becomes obvious what the popular go-to sizes are and you'll find you soon go through those boxes of 100/200. I guess it helps I have a screwfix etc within 15mins which I just pop to as and when.

Or you can get pretty good deals on the kinda selection boxes from Screwfix and the like, they sometimes have smaller quantities but then I look at them and whilst the prices seem OK I suspect I'd end up with screws I'll never touch.

Never heard of screws damaging plugs.
Virtually all screws I ever buy are the gold coloured wood screws, either fully or partially threaded. Use them for everything.
I also consume way more of particular sizes than anything else - 3x30s, 4x50s and 5x80s.

I would like to keep a variety of size and length screws, rather than having to go out or order when I am doing a job. I am only a DIY'er and don't use that many to warrant 100/200 boxes. To this end I found a site "CheapScrews" that can supply me with say 4/4.5/5 in 40/50/70mm in small volumes of 50. They alsosupply Fischer Duo Plugs in small quantities too. They mainly sell Timco screws but after reading that certain screws can tear raw plugs, I need some advice as to whether I can keep screws that will double up as wood-wood and say hanging a cabinet to masonry. Rather than a selection of screws dedicated to certain functions. Can you please advise.

If what need is a useful size, buy a full boxes, they are cheaper by the box, and you will get around to using them.

Sponsored Links
Never heard of screws damaging plugs.
Virtually all screws I ever buy are the gold coloured wood screws, either fully or partially threaded. Use them for everything.
I also consume way more of particular sizes than anything else - 3x30s, 4x50s and 5x80s.
Torx, hopefully.

I am a fan or reissers, but turbo silver and gold screws from screwfix are good value for money.
Those are for wood, but I use them with plugs if I don't have my screw box handy.
I use a lot of the 30mm, 40, 50 and 80mm, so I always have a couple of boxes of these.
For everyday hanging of anything I use Wickes general purpose screws in various sizes.
Remember that for plugs to perform at their best (at least in masonry), the screw must protrude 10mm from the end of the plug (see instructions on the ischer duopower box that you have).
So pick your length based on this.
For outdoor I tempt to use stainless steel screws, but having tested reissers and turbo screws, the majority of them don't rust.
You'll find what you need as you do more projects.

Only way i can think of to damage a rawl plug is to use the wrong size screw.
I keep all sorts of sizes for the occasion.
Stainless for the tough stuff and brass for those decorative touches.

Caveman,
For a diyer another vote for a box set of 'turbo' screws from Screwfix. Get the size that matches you diy frequency.
I find them useful as limited the number of screw drivers and bits I need to two (PZ1 and PZ2). Have almost full range of lengths for most jobs. Easy to find spares and refill individual trays. And means I am used to how they work in different situations.

I have also left small sets at parents and in-laws so have them to hand when I need to fix things when I visits.

Last edited:
Caveman,
For a diyer another vote for a box set of 'turbo' screws from Screwfix. Get the size that matches you diy frequency.
For example, the 1000 pack at 1899 looks better than the 1400 pack at 3999, but the cheaper pack is stuffed with 3.5 sizes you'll never use unless you're making furniture..

Personally I wouldn't buy the turbo; for the rare occasions when the self drilling is handy to me it's usually possible to just pilot the hole, then the the 14.99 ordinary gold screw pack is better value than the 40 quid turbo pack

Over the years, the most common woodscrew size I have found useful, has been the 1 1/2" x 8, the second most useful, 2" x 8.

as a DIYer for many years, i have used many types of screws and have a Stanley organiser with all these screws in now, however in the last few years having carried a lot of renovation on a bungalow, I have 3 screwfix turbo screw gold & Silver boxes (purchased when on offer) , I think i have used most of the sizes for lots of jobs and find thesee and the removable boxes very good.
The only other screws i have purchased is where I needed black colour - my other half wanted all the hinges changed to black on all the doors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back