Should self levelling compound look like this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I’ve recently outsourced the rip-out and refinish of my lounge diner to a builder as after five years of working in my house I’m frankly getting tired.

Part of this was the re-screeing of the concrete floor owing to it being uneven and a parquet (spl?) floor going in.

I’ve never done such a job so have no comparison, but three days after it being laid by the chap I’ve put my faith and money in it’s an uneven colour, with the creamy areas being highly viscous and slippy (so I found this morning when tentatively stepping on it and going down hard), and the grey being mildly powdery.
More importantly, whilst the pronounced bend of the floor with the middle higher than the edges that was there has gone, when I run my hands over it, there are noticeable lumps and bumps.

Have I been had?
Is this normal?

I thought self levelling kind of well, self levelled.
NB, the original floor was cross crossed with black swirls of bitumen adhesive, so any visible grey is scree not old floor.

Attachments

• IMG_8328.jpeg
    IMG_8328.jpeg
    263.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_8327.jpeg
    IMG_8327.jpeg
    233.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_8326.jpeg
    IMG_8326.jpeg
    207.9 KB · Views: 56
Sponsored Links
Looks like it's still drying.
Have you put a spirit level or a long piece of something straight to check that there are no high or low spots?

Looks very much like an inconsistent mix by the builder which is causing the differing rates of setting and poor finish. It can hopefully be topped up where needed but you may need to dig up the worst areas and re-do them.

Sponsored Links
Looks like it's still drying.
Have you put a spirit level or a long piece of something straight to check that there are no high or low spots?
There are high/low spots on the grey areas- I laid a board edge on it just now. The cream areas are still slick.

To my untrained eye it looks like the grey areas are too thick and it’s just sat like porridge as it’s set rather than self-levelling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back