Should this type of joint have olives?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Fitted our new electric shower today and the compression joint for the water feed didn't come with any olives.

I fitted olives when I put it together and I've got a very slight weep from one side.

Just wanted to check it actually should have olives fitted.

IMG_20230521_201258.jpg

Thanks
Chris.

Sponsored Links
Yes Chris, it should have Olives fitted. Try nipping it up.

Should there be an insert, inside the plastic pipe, to prevent it being crushed when tightening?
If you’re on about the shower spigot, then no, not required unless instructions advise to. If it’s connecting onto plastic in the wall, then yes it should.

Sponsored Links
Nipping it up hasn't worked, it's a very slight weep from the threads on the lower nut.

I've isolated the water to it for now I'll look at remaking the joint tomorrow with some ptfe on the olive.

Thanks
Chris.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Looking at where it connects to the shower seems like it’s not full socket, so if it’s slightly skewed at all, the this can also cause your issue.

Last edited:
Was it a new fitting and olive?

Couple of things to check, is it onto the pipe fully, if plastic pipe - does it have an insert and is it the correct one, if it's a brass olive, it needs a bit more tightening than if it was copper.

All else fails then as you suggest, a wrap or 2 of tape around the olive (not the threads)

Everything was new and is onto copper in the wall.

I was fairly sure it was all on square and fully pushed in but I'll have to check it all tonight and see.

• Thanks
I installed two Triton T80Z recently with the same set up, the shower side has heavy duty plastic piping, the showers came supplied with the elbows which have copper olives but had no problems installing them, just be a bit careful that you don't put too much strain on the plastic side when dealing with the other end in case you crack the plastic piece that attaches to the shower.
A few wraps of PTFE tape should sort you out, I never use it on new fittings but when I push the fitting fully home on the pipe I then pull it back a few mm before tightening up.

Try loosening the nut sometimes they’re over tightened.

Blup

From the photo it looks as if the lower nut might be cross-threaded (there appears to be a gap at the bottom but no gap at the top

Went back to this today, the water feed to it was left off till yesterday when it was put back on so swmbo could use the washing machine in the utility next door and it seems to have stopped leaking by itself?

I don't need to close the shower up for another couple of days so I'll keep an eye on it but it looks like it's sorted itself out.

Thanks
Chris.

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back