Should this wire be loose/exposed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a look at the electrics in the flat.

Undid the switch for the cooker hob mains and have noticed a brown cable is free floating. Should it go in the spare hole?
I'm certain it should but thought I'd check with you pros first.
(It may have come undone whilst investigating.. and yes power is off)thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20230128_113018313.jpg
    PXL_20230128_113018313.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 108
  • PXL_20230128_113026799.jpg
    PXL_20230128_113026799.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 116
Sponsored Links
Yes, into spare hole.

The other Brown wire looks like it is on its way out as well.
I suggest you redo all the terminals.

Yes. Not sure why the insulation looks as it does: is that tape?

Either way, I would tidy up the stripped ends and fit them so that no copper shows. Make sure you screw the terminals down tightly.

Sponsored Links
Nope not tape. Just the brown wire covering has been forced backwards hence the crinkles.

Thanks for the reply and putting my mind at ease. Will tidy and place it back in

Nope not tape. Just the brown wire covering has been forced backwards hence the crinkles.

Thanks for the reply and putting my mind at ease. Will tidy and place it back in

Strip back the insulation to the correct length for the terminal, tighten*, give it a small wiggle and check its soundly under the screw, re-tighten* it. Do the rest of them, dress the cables back into the box and push the switch plate back. Bring it forward just as much as necessary to give all the terminals a final tweak* and then fit and secure the switch.

* Thats soundly hand tightened, not white knuckle or grunt tight, but not limp wristed either...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back